FI car audio Options?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThomasG
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Im really considering a BTL just have some questions.

well ive seen a thread about this before but no one really described them to good if i remember.. I cant find that thread through all the FI topics i searched i tried

So can someone tells me what these options do besides stating the obvious.. and if possibly how it does it

P chamfer:

Cooling:

3rdmagnet:

HixmCoil:

Daily or SPL:

Inner H Sink:

Universal:

Thanks appreciate it

"P Chamfer: This is a chamfer on the end of the pole, it helps to bring the air down around inside of the motor and helps cool the coil better. It also helps relieve the pressure underneath the dustcap. We recommend at the bare minimum to get this option if you choose this series of woofers.

Cooling: Self explanatory, the cooling channels are machined into the inside of the sub to help cool the coil FAR better. But there are some things that you sacrifice. There is less metal inside of the motor so it is a little weaker. If you are looking for a fart/burp only scenario for SPL we suggest that you do NOT get this option. Stick with only the P chamfer. Now if you are looking for a daily sub to beat on and you have 2000+ watts the BTL series is for you.

3rd magnet: This simply adds more clearance in use for the HiXmCoil. If you intend on using the sub for an SPL application we suggest that you get the 3rd slug with No cooling options and only the pole chamfer.

Flatwind: The flatwire coil option is standard in the BTL.

HiXmCoil: This coil is simply much longer than the normal dual 1ohm or dual 2ohm flatwire coils and allows for more xmax. If you are using this in a daily scenario we suggest that you choose this option, especially in the 15 and 18 inch models.

Daily or SPL: Simply put, if you plan on listening to any type of music you MUST choose the daily option. If it is strictly for a fart/burp scenario then choose the SPL option. The reason we have these options is the gap tolerances between the two are different. The gap in the SPL woofer is much tighter and FAR less forgiving in comparison to the Daily option. The Daily option simply gives the coil more wiggle room inside of the gap to deal with the non-linearity tendancys that you can get into when you are using a sub in a daily driving scenario. Typically SPL applications deal with 1 note and it does not change, therefore we can make the gap much tighter and get all of the motor strength that we can out of it.

Universal: This option gives you the choice to later chance the impedence of your voice coils. You can change from dual 2’s to dual 1’s and vice versa by reconing them. If you do not choose this option your motor(s) will be optimized per the coil resistance that you have chosen. (Dual 2’s will forever be a dual 2 motor, Dual 1 will forever be a Dual 1 motor)."

taken directly from FI.

I was looking to get a BTL to compete with and listen to for daily.. just curious on how the daily is for competing, cause it seems like the SPL from what FI said it would sound like ass on music.

my sub is excellent for daily driving but no goo for competing unless i buy another one since its dual 6 ohm

I was looking to get a BTL to compete with and listen to for daily.. just curious on how the daily is for competing, cause it seems like the SPL from what FI said it would sound like ass on music.
my sub is excellent for daily driving but no goo for competing unless i buy another one since its dual 6 ohm
Wont sound like 'ass' per say. However the tolerances in the gap are much tighter, and odds are you would rub the coil out in a daily/music scenario.

The way I put it is that if the sub will ever being playing music then you need the daily option. If it is for an SPL only (burp setup not bass race) then the SPL version is fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.