TARAMPS DS1200X4 with JBL GTO939 Premium?????

Participant count
  • Participant list

GenuineGemini

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey Everyone.

I'm looking for some sound information/advice on the Taramps DS1200X4.
The amp is Brazilian made and has a very strange terminal configuration for a four channel setup that I've never seen in an amplifier before.
The user manual is not very detailed and I'm unsure how this amp might work with my JBL GTO Premium door speakers rated for a 3 ohm load.
My interpretation of this terminal configuration is that it is designed to generate a parallel between the L and R speakers to reduce the ohm load similar to a DVC speaker.
My understanding of SVC speakers is that if you run them at a lower impedance than what they are designed for then you run the serious risk of damaging the voice coil and ruining your speakers.
So, if I were to connect my JBL GTO 939's and 629's to this amp in a four channel configuration, wouldn't that generate a 1.5 ohm impedance on each channel and on each of the speakers putting the speakers and the amp at risk, or am I way off and completely ignorant?
I'll appreciate any insight and/or clarification on this scenario.
Thanks

Last edited:
Your 3 ohm speakers will be at 3 ohms still. It doesn't drop them to 1.5. I can't remember the exact scientific explanation anymore but I have posted it on here a few times in the past.

I've had a couple of them. Good little amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.