System upgrade suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Z3n
10+ year member

Hi everybody, I came here a year or two ago asking for suggestions about my first system I put in my car. I've learned I should have done it better the first time, as I'm coming back to redo it, better this time.

This is what I'm looking to do. I have a small car (2000 Toyota Celica GT-S), so I'm looking at putting in a good SQ-oriented 10" subwoofer and a nice amp for it. I don't want to break the bank, but don't mind spending $300-$400 on it if I have to. I'm in high school now, but I'd rather spend some more money and do it better.

I'm going to open a can of worms here, but also does anybody have some suggestions for nice RCA cables? I figure I'll ask this as well since I'm starting a new thread anyways. I understand that there really isn't much difference between cables, but if you have preferences, feel free to share them.

Thanks guys! If I forgot to add anything just let me know.

That would be my budget for sub and amp, new or used is fine. If used I'd want something in very good shape. In terms of power, I don't have a set number. I was looking at the Image Dynamics IDQv4 recently, and that is rated at 500 RMS, so I'd say something in that range would be fine, but in all honesty I'm open to mostly anything if it sounds good, as SQ is my main goal.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I'd like to put this sub in a fiberglass enclosure in the corner of the hatch, because I like my trunk space. So a sub that performs well in a relatively small, sealed enclosure would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I can tell you that a nice or even decent sq setup is not cheap but can be obtained look also at Dayton subs I can tell you that $400+ is a more realistic budget for a sq sub and small amp but you'll still need a box and maybe new wires

I agree on the Dayton, good choice for budget SQ. And if you can find any JL on craigslist cheap that's in good condition, hop on it. They make great stuff, I'd just never pay full retail price for it.

Alright, I'll take a look at Dayton subs as well. I'm fine with upping my budget if it means getting something a bit better. I half-assed it on my original setup with two 12s and a sketchy amp, so I'd rather not do that again. Like I said, I learned the hard way that I should have spent more and done it better the first time. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds here -- I think I saw a nice Phoenix Gold amp for $200, and I just looked at an Arc Audio as well for $200. I don't really know what some good SQ amps are, so I could use some guidance there.

I'm going to be doing that fiberglass box in the corner, but that's a separate expense. So right now I'm just focusing on what a decent SQ setup will cost me.

I'm also redoing most of my wiring right now, which is also a separate budget. I'm looking to use all KnuKonceptz wire for power and ground, and then just get some wire from weldingsupply for my Big 3 Upgrade. I'm also getting new speaker wire, probably KnuKonceptz Kord UltraFlex 12 gauge unless there's something better I can get for around the same price point. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do for RCA cables, that's what I'd like some suggestions on.

As well as wire upgrades, I'm planning on fully deadening my car with products from Sound Deadener Showdown. I've taken all my measurements and hope to email Don in the near future to get that all figured out. I want to do that as well as I can, so I hope he can help and get me the best plan for my car. That alone should help with sound quality and just overall noise quality and quietness in the cabin.

What do you currently have? Amp and sub.

Also could give the older type rs a shot I hear new ones are more SPL oriented than the previous type r which was fairly good sq

Rca cables are basically all the same go to Walmart for them it don't make any serious difference lol of course for higher quality find some that are gold plated also I believe some have built in noise cancelation (such as static or engine wind)

What do you currently have? Amp and sub.
Also could give the older type rs a shot I hear new ones are more SPL oriented than the previous type r which was fairly good sq
Actually a bad idea. As they are not sq subs by any means old or new. If you decide you want new equipment hit me up I sell a lot of different brands even arc audio. Zapco hertz and others

Actually a bad idea. As they are not sq subs by any means old or new. If you decide you want new equipment hit me up I sell a lot of different brands even arc audio. Zapco hertz and others
Lol really? I've always heard them refered closer to am SQ sub than anything I used to have 4 12 inch type rs I was impressed by how loud they got (I guess?) But more or less thought they sounded good wasn't super impressed by the lows or forcefulness of them

I previously had a Bazooka 1000w amp and two 12 inch MTX JackHammers in a box my dad and I made. The box was the best part of that setup... I sold that for $280 a little while back. I'm not in a rush right now to get this new setup finalized, but I know its something I'll want in the future. Right now I'm focusing more on the sound deadening project, rewiring, and reworking my center console to hold a Nexus 7. I'm just trying to get everything I'd like to do in the future at least semi-planned out, so if something pops up that catches my fancy and meets my parameters, I'll be able to jump on it.

EDIT: From what I've read on some different forums, there are a number of people that just recommend picking up these RCA cables. Thoughts?

I've read a lot of positive things about Stinger cables as well. I'd like to order most of my wiring at the same time so I can wire everything while I have my dash out, which I do now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.