System Refuses to Play Music...Beginner Requesting Help!

D2VP

Hey!

New here, and relatively new to car audio. I've always been interested in it, but never put a system in my car. A little background on my setup...

I am driving a 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT. My system (first ever), is comprised of:

-Kenwood KDC-X396 Head unit

-Clarion EQS 746 Equalizer (Just installed this a few weeekends ago after the fact)

-Stinger volt meter

-Rockford Fosgate mids and highs (6.5" Component punch series in front doors and 6x9" coaxial in the rears..also punch)

-Precision Power PPI P900.4 to power the mids and highs

-Sundown SAZ 1200D for the subwoofer

-SSA GCON 12" DVC 2 ohm

-Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Cap

-PAC fan for the amps

The box was spec'd out by Mark of SSA, and was built by a professional (friend of mine). All of the RCA's, including the headunit to EQ are Fosgate. I'm also running an Optima Red Top under the hood. The power and ground are also Fosgate... 0AWG and 4AWG.

I have had this all installed, with the exception of a cooling fan, the EQ, and the volt meter, since January of this year...the 14th to be exact. I have had NO issues up until now. I just installed the EQ, meter, and fan a few weekends ago...successfully. Everything has worked perfectly since then.

This evening..I was out running some errands and everything was working like normal. Stopped to get my haircut..came back out and the music is "playing" on the headunit..but all I'm getting is static out of the speakers. I am at a loss here.. Tried a USB, CD, and my phone..still nothing.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

I have the same phone!

Anyway, check to see if ur amps are powering on, if not check the fuse, and the remote wire. If u have a multimeter u can check the rca's voltage and see if it's putting out a signal. Check the signal from the hu to the es and from the es to the amps. Hope this helped, good luck

Thanks! I will check it out tomorrow. I can hear the amps powering on, and they are not in protect mode. My monoblock turns on first, then the 4 channel. I will have to check them when I get home from work. Hopefully it's something simple, I don't particularly want to rewire everything!

I didn't know if it was possible to hear the static if a speaker cable had shorted out. Again...I'm still pretty green with this stuff!

Static similar to what I think is white noise...very feint. I believe its noise introduced by the cooling fan. No static from the sub. The sub does not play at all. The head unit says that the song on the USB or CD is playing..but no music is coming out of the speakers or the sub.

Do you mind describing how everything is wired? 0ga to dist block and then 4ga out? Do amps share a ground? I'm not sure I've ever heard of a head unit going bad like that. Maybe something with the wiring.

To be quite honest, I just helped with the final assembly. My friend, who does it for a living, wired everything up. (not some random dude lol, he does a lot of SEMA vehicles audio setups)

From what I can visually see and have looked at..the 0ga runs from the battery along the drivers side to the capacitor. Fuse is no more than 6 inches from the battery. the 4ga is hooked up to the capacitor as well, and runs to the amps. I know that the ground is somewhere in my wheel well, I believe that it was put on the frame..but my box is on top of it.

One caveat, though I don't think it makes a difference but I could be wrong...is that I took about 3 years to piece everything together. I am very indecisive and wanted to have a "one and done" setup..where I wasn't going to have to upgrade it because I wasn't happy with it.

my RCA's, speaker, and remote all run up the passengers side btw. I do know that power and signal wires are supposed to be opposite of each other to avoid excessive noise!

If you think your grounds are solid and are still, indeed, connected, then I would blame it all on the capacitor before the head unit. I'm not sure whether you'd like to do it alone or have your friend take a look, but checking all the grounds would be the first thing. Make sure the fuse by the battery is not blown. Make sure the internal fuses on the amps are not blown. Lastly, remove the capacitor completely. I've never been a fan of those and most people would agree. I am leaning toward it being the capacitor. What brand is it anyway?

Its a fosgate cap. Located on the rear of the box. I will check it all out tomorrow. I seriously cannot thank everyone who has had input already. This is kind of out of my realm!

I was thinking about a battery in the back instead..but wasnt sure how hard it was to run the wiring myself..or if it was even worth it.

Ill post up some pictures, so it is a little easier to visualize too. I give you guys major kudos for being able to troubleshoot stuff without even seeing it!

Not a problem, we all get help at some point. I think you should actually get rid of the capacitor regardless. You don't need another battery if your voltage isn't dropping (i.e.: lights dimming when playing music).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.