System Recommendation for a 2001 Range Rover

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi guys, am new to this forum and I was hoping to get some help from you guys. I have a 2001 Range Rover and i want to completly replace my factor system setup. I have a rough idea on what i want but am not an expert and i was hoping you can help. I want to get a nice component system for my front speakers, coaxials(this can change) for the back speakers, 2 subs, a 4 channel amp for my speakers and a amp for my 2 subs.

Right now this is what i have found online and maybe i can get some input from you guys to see if the setup is a good one or maybe you can recommend something better. All this comes up to about $2700 online. I have a max budget of $3k, please help.

JL AUDIO 13W6v2 (2 of these Subs)

JL AUDIO c5-650 (components for front)

JL AUDIO c5-650x (coax for the back)

JL AUDIO hd1200/1 (mono amp for my 2 subs)

JL AUDIO hd600/4 (4 channel amp for the speakers)

Nice vehicle:) Hope its the Sport.

I should go ahead and warn you now, alot of people on here are going to tell you that JL is "overrated, overpriced crap". And that you can get way more for your money.

Though I am a JL fan, I agree to an extent, for example those C5 speakers are not worth their price tag. I've heard them twice in different setups and simply wasnt that impressed for what you pay for them. Whats your budget for front and rear door speakers?

As far as the subs, I love the w6s! some of the cleanest sounding subs I've heard, and will get pretty loud as well. I'd say those are a good choice. Or for a cheaper, just as good sounding, alternative you can look into the Dayton Reference HO subs. They have AMAZING SQ (yes, I have compared them to w6s, old and new) and will get pretty loud too. My w6s still got louder though.

I have no experience with the JL HD amps but I have yet to hear anything bad about them. Cant really comment too much on them though as far as them being a good choice or not.

Edit: if you dont mind buying used, theres a set of JL w7s here in the classifieds on this site for like 1300 shipped for the pair. *great price*

For 2700 you can get a crazy azz setup and none of that setup should include JL. If sq is ur goal there is better and cheaper out there then JL. Look into arc audio, focal, hertz, hybrid, etc. I assume you are going sq based on what u picked above.

I went with the setup above based on recommendation from the JL Audio guys on FB. So this is coming from them and i figured since their opinion is based on what they have, i want to get a second opinion. I have an SUV so i guess i want some good clarity and some bass.

Well I mean its a JL dealer u think he is going to inform you that there is better cheaper out there?? Stick around and do some reading you will end up saving money and get better performance in the end. Never rush to buy take your time and read and read. Then when u think you got what u want layed out think somemore. This is a big investment and you should treat it as one.

Budget for the setup i want is below, I can mix and match them as long as i dont go over $3k.
subs $800

components $400

coax $300

4channel amp $800

mono amp $700
For subs, you can check out those Dayton References I mentioned earlier or the Boston Acoustics SPG 555 not sure how much SQ you want out of your subs, but you could also look into the SSA lineup, Sundown SA's, or DC Sound Labs. or if youre getting both of those 13w6s for $800, thats a pretty good deal IMO.

For components, for that price, I'd say look into Hybrid Audio, Boston Acoustics, or maybe even buy some raw drivers from Parts Express or Madisound and run an active setup. You could even try a 3 way front stage if you dont mind some fiberglass work.

For amps, I'm sure many will disagree, but I typically stick with Kicker Monos, JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, and Memphis. Brands I trust...

Member these are just opinions so take them with a grain of salt everybody hugs some brands nuts. Dnt ask questions just browse the fourm and see what be are using and what they are saying then keep on reading. Never go buy cause someone said its the best. Might be best for them but not for you.

If you do it right it should take you a good 2-3 months to get what u want lined up.

Member these are just opinions so take them with a grain of salt everybody hugs some brands nuts. Dnt ask questions just browse the fourm and see what be are using and what they are saying then keep on reading. Never go buy cause someone said its the best. Might be best for them but not for you.
very true. your best bet is to go listen to some stuff

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.