Sundown...

Participant count
  • Participant list
The SD-2 woofer was born of the need for a woofer as close to the performance of the SA series as possible but with significantly less mounting depth. We started with the same heavily tested and proven cone, surround, and spider assembly of the SA line. From there an all new motor was engineered using half the magnet height of the SA line combined with a solid back plate. The solid back plate allows the SD-2 line to be mounted directly against the enclosure wall eliminating the need for venting space behind the motor assembly -- this reduces effective depth requirement by another inch! The SD-2 line is still able to effectively vent the voice coil through 16 holes drilled around the basket perimeter as well as a vented voice coil former allowing it to handle it's rated 500-watts RMS with ease.

So this statement is incorrect?

The statement is true. Sundown SA's are 600 rms and the SD are 500 rms. The SD I guess is Sundown's version of a shallow mount. If you compare the SD to the SA you will see a larger mounting depth on the SA as it has a larger motor.

Sorry for my extreme Noob-ness. I'm just trying to learn what I can. Its really interesting stuff. What is the significance of a larger magnet? Is there some links you could post as to what the basics of subwoofers are all about or can that be found on this site?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.