Sundown SA-12 advice PLEASE!

facialcrunch

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
Hello,

I want to buy a pair of Sundown Audio SA-12 subs for my son for Christmas but I don't know if I should get 2 ohm or 4 ohm. He currently has a Kicker CXA 1200.1 amp (1200 W at mono 2 ohms, 600 W at mono 4 ohms). If I use his current amp and I put 2 SA-12's in the proper dimension box, should I get 2 - 4 ohms or 2 - 2 ohms?

If the amp is not good for the situation what amp would you recommend and what 2 SA-12 subs?

Thank you!

To run at a 2 ohm load that the amp is stable at you would want Dual 2 ohm subwoofers.

If you were to upgrade his amp you have way more choices in amps that do their rated power at 1 ohm. So you would want Dual 4 ohm subwoofers.

To run at a 2 ohm load that the amp is stable at you would want Dual 2 ohm subwoofers.

If you were to upgrade his amp you have way more choices in amps that do their rated power at 1 ohm. So you would want Dual 4 ohm subwoofers.

Thank you. He currentl;y has that amp with 2 kicker subs but wants much more boom. His trunk won't fit 15's so he wants the 2 SA-12's. What amp would you recommend? He has a stock battery and alternator which could possibly be upgraded if needed, but I'd prefer not to upgrade the alternator. What's your ideal amp, 2 SA-12 combo please?

Thank you!

What box is he using? The enclosure is what makes or breaks any subwoofer. Throwing SA-12s into a prefab ported box probably isn't going to gain much of anything compared to the Kickers on the same power.

I personally would go with a Taramps Smart 3 or Sundown SBF 3000. But you will also need some electrical upgrades. A large AGM rear battery at least.

First thing I would do is have a properly designed and built ported box for them though.

What box is he using? The enclosure is what makes or breaks any subwoofer. Throwing SA-12s into a prefab ported box probably isn't going to gain much of anything compared to the Kickers on the same power.

I personally would go with a Taramps Smart 3 or Sundown SBF 3000. But you will also need some electrical upgrades. A large AGM rear battery at least.

First thing I would do is have a properly designed and built ported box for them though.

I was looking at the Skar Audio SK2X12V prefab box. Seems to match the specs of what Sundown says the box should be...

Internal Air Space (Volume)4.00 ft3
Tuning Frequency32 Hz
Cut-Out Diameter11.125"
Mounting Depth13.00"

If I'm incorrect then I guess I need box recommendations too. He has a Hyundai Elantra so the trunk is pretty small. I was just assuming 2 12's was good. Is it possible a single 12 or 15 even could/would be better. I'm sorry for the newbie questions. Just a dad trying to figure this all out and get him the proper thing. All I know is he wants it to hit hard! Thank you so much!

There is a reason people call it Skarbage. There boxes are pure junk and are known to fall apart.

Have one built it will be night and day difference compared to some prefab box.

Is it possible a single 12 or 15 even could/would be better.
I personally would do a single 12 or 15 if it means the money saved would be allocated towards an actual legitimate custom box.

For example a single SSA Icon 12 or 15 in a legimate custom box would crush those entry level kickers in SQ and Output

If your actually serious about Sound quality then something like this https://showtimeelectronics.com/adi...-dual-4-ohm-car-audio-subwoofer-sub-adbr12d4/ paired with a custom box would be something you'd keep for a decade

Last edited:
I am using that same kicker amp to push one sa-12 dual 4 ohm sub. I'm not totally sure it will be strong enough to run two sa-12 at the same caliber thou.

How about a Orion xtr2500.1 ,if he`s going to upgrade the electrical.alot of power,or head room

Here it is, you are welcome !

Attachments

• sa12 v2 fv.png
    sa12 v2 fv.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 449
  • sa 12 v2 Pv.png
    sa 12 v2 Pv.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 355
  • sa 12 v2 side 1.png
    sa 12 v2 side 1.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 276
  • sa12 v2 .1.png
    sa12 v2 .1.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 374
Should have no problem fitting two 12s ported in that trunk. Could always run an Aero port to save space. I fit two in my 2010 Focus trunk using a 6" aero port with 13.8 cubic foot trunk. The Elantra trunk is slightly larger at 14.4.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...