Sundown Pro audio drivers?

i wonder if there is a way to create a motor for a speaker without ferrite or neo? i mean i always thought an electric motor required a magnet to operate but someone has figured out a different way. I wonder if this technology could be used in the speaker business?

i wonder if there is a way to create a motor for a speaker without ferrite or neo? i mean i always thought an electric motor required a magnet to operate but someone has figured out a different way. I wonder if this technology could be used in the speaker business?
explain more please?

You can use two coils -- one for the field and one to move -- that has been done in loudspeakers before. Of course two coils gives you another failure point.

why is this method even brought up then. Obviously magnets are proven to be the way to go.

I'm not a big fan of it -- but I do see it come up on the forums quite a bit these days.

You can do some cool stuff with extra coils in motors... like a counter-coil to achieve effectively negative inductance.

I'm not a big fan of it -- but I do see it come up on the forums quite a bit these days.
You can do some cool stuff with extra coils in motors... like a counter-coil to achieve effectively negative inductance.
This would work even for subs? "even at high power ratings?

i mean i always thought an electric motor required a magnet to operate but someone has figured out a different way.
You are kidding, right ?

As stated drivers using field coils have been done before. The main advantage is that you can get a lot more flux with a field coil then you can with a regular magnet. Also because there are no weight restrictions as with a voice coil a large electromagnet with a high turns ratio can be used, which can develop a large magnetomotive force with a relativley small amount of current.

The only disadvantage is that the manufacturing costs are going to be much higher, and the driver would require a seperate power supply... this is why you don't see speakers made like this today...

You are kidding, right ?

As stated drivers using field coils have been done before. The main advantage is that you can get a lot more flux with a field coil then you can with a regular magnet. Also because there are no weight restrictions as with a voice coil a large electromagnet with a high turns ratio can be used, which can develop a large magnetomotive force with a relativley small amount of current.

The only disadvantage is that the manufacturing costs are going to be much higher, and the driver would require a seperate power supply... this is why you don't see speakers made like this today...
No clue , did not know this was possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.