Sundown Audio SA vs Ultra enclosure

Troponin

Texas
I assumed these two subs would have the same recommendations, but looking at the CAB website and then looking at the SA website, they are slightly different. To make it more interesting, the CAB website doesn't have as many details as the SA site.

I am going to be having the local shop custom make me a box for this. They carry SA, so I am sure they are familiar with building enclosures for them, but I wanted to make sure I have the info and knowledge needed if they ask me questions about the Ultra. According to SA site, the recommendations are...

Sealed 1.0 ft^3

Ported 1.5-2.0 ft^3 @ 35hz

Displacement 0.14 ft^3

Depth 6 1/2"

Outside Diameter 12 5/8"

Cut-Out 11 1/8"

Cab site just has this...

2ft^3 ported

12-18in^2 of port per ft^3

Tuned to 35hz

I remember reading that folks were using their SA enclosures for their Ultras and they were actually louder with the same enclosure. Based on the above and that feedback, can I Just tell these guys to build a box to the same specs as the SA if they are unsure? They appear to be the same, but this isn't something I want to mess up.

The ultra will like a bit more port area being a stronger sub but really depends on your power and goals. Average daily or super lows?

I put my ultra in 2.5cu @30hz and it sounded good. Was a little bottom heavy (my preference). I think 2.25 @33-34 would slam and play a broader range.

What are goals and power?

The ultra will like a bit more port area being a stronger sub but really depends on your power and goals. Average daily or super lows?
Average daily. I listen to mostly D&B, Rap, Dubstep, and then a mix of stuff like country and rock.

They can't look into that info themselves???
Sure, they can, but being educated on the subject helps prevent mistakes and gives me peace of mind. For instance, since coming to this website, I have learned that JL, although very good, are overpriced. Had I not learned that, they would have sold me a W3 and I think the Ultra was a better fit for me, as well as being less expensive.

Average daily. I listen to mostly D&B, Rap, Dubstep, and then a mix of stuff like country and rock.

Sure, they can, but being educated on the subject helps prevent mistakes and gives me peace of mind. For instance, since coming to this website, I have learned that JL, although very good, are overpriced. Had I not learned that, they would have sold me a W3 and I think the Ultra was a better fit for me, as well as being less expensive.
JL isn't overpriced. It's for a different market. There is stuff way more overpriced then JL that's way past the point of stuipid.

I put my ultra in 2.5cu @30hz and it sounded good. Was a little bottom heavy (my preference). I think 2.25 @33-34 would slam and play a broader range.
What are goals and power?
SAE1000D Amp.

Looking for it to hit pretty hard. Want good SPL without completely sacrificing sq. It's going in to a Dodge Charger, so it will be in the trunk and need it to be loud and hit hard to get through the seats etc.

But if you look at the big picture. JL holds a ton of championships beating stuff that's 4x as much.
I get what you're saying. It's all relative. For my budget though, JL was certainly not the way to go. I have been out of the game a long time, but it was irritating that I come back in to the game and JL still seems to be the go-to for some shops without even asking questions.

I get what you're saying. It's all relative. For my budget though, JL was certainly not the way to go. I have been out of the game a long time, but it was irritating that I come back in to the game and JL still seems to be the go-to for some shops without even asking questions.
It's reliable. They get a good cut if they sell at retail. It's easy to work with for a shop

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.