Suggestions on batteries and capacitors.

Participant count
  • Participant list
so you think using stock alt on a sep battery just to run my car, and the 370 hooked only up to my bats for my car audio is bad idea?
What's the cost/hassle of adding dual alt bracket for how much real-world gain?   How much current do you suppose your car is drawing to run that you are "robbing" from your upgraded alternator?  30A?  40?   Plus consider your stock alternator isn't brand new when do you have to replace that anyway?  Just seems a lot of trouble for not much return.

Let's just cut to the chase, what are your biggest limitations?  Time, money, space, weight, ability/willingness to DIY?  Everything is a tradeoff. 

I can report we've been down a little below 0 here already and my LTO cells were still performing great.

My biggest limitation is money, not in how much I wanna spend bit in how much time it takes me to save for what even I’m getting.

and it’s all going in back of a 2008 Tahoe so lots room and I don’t care of weight 

i also love diy and building stuff for fun

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest limitation is money, not in how much I wanna spend bit in how much time it takes me to save for what even I’m getting.

and it’s all going in back of a 2008 Tahoe so lots room and I don’t care of weight 

i also love diy and building stuff for fun
Well with that criteria IMO your best option is to pick a decent AGM (parts store or the Duracell), buy as your budget permits and just keep adding them until you're happy.  You can add them 200$ worth at a time or whatever and eventually you'll have enough capacity to handle anything you're doing. 

Well with that criteria IMO your best option is to pick a decent AGM (parts store or the Duracell), buy as your budget permits and just keep adding them until you're happy.  You can add them 200$ worth at a time or whatever and eventually you'll have enough capacity to handle anything you're doing. 
NIce that was what i was kinda thinking,  just keep adding and adding tell i got enough.  And i might just toss in a bank of 6 caps or something for the fun of it and the looks.  I always like how a pack of caps looked and done up nice in a system.  

Thanks again, brother. 

Do you have a personal preference on brand?>  I'm leaning towards Xspower because iv had one of there 3100s and its works great. 

And iv been seeing those 3100s on amazon for under 400 bucks which seems like a great value. 

Do you have a personal preference on brand?>
Duracell branded AGM (available at Batteries Plus or Sam's Club) are good and a huge value.   Look into the Bosch Platinum (sold at Pep Boys).   4 year warranty means if you drive a lot you're almost guaranteed to kill it before the warranty is up so it's basically buy one get one free.   I've had good luck in the past just buying parts store premium lines with the big warranty.  XS is popular but what are you going to do if it craps out in a year and a half?   I've always been leery of anything that weighs 60 pounds plus that I'd have to pay shipping to return if something went wrong. 

I'm really not sold on the marketing hype of a lot of these batteries.   There are some "better" brands but are they really double the price better? 

You really missed the boat a week ago on the supercaps.  There was a really hot sale price on them through Alibaba.

Duracell branded AGM (available at Batteries Plus or Sam's Club) are good and a huge value.   Look into the Bosch Platinum (sold at Pep Boys).   4 year warranty means if you drive a lot you're almost guaranteed to kill it before the warranty is up so it's basically buy one get one free.   I've had good luck in the past just buying parts store premium lines with the big warranty.  XS is popular but what are you going to do if it craps out in a year and a half?   I've always been leery of anything that weighs 60 pounds plus that I'd have to pay shipping to return if something went wrong. 

I'm really not sold on the marketing hype of a lot of these batteries.   There are some "better" brands but are they really double the price better? 

You really missed the boat a week ago on the supercaps.  There was a really hot sale price on them through Alibaba.
Thanks mate, ill check out those brands.  Hopefully there's more hot sales in the future 8).  

And that is a good idea about checking out how long the warranties are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.