Subwoofer works, but only when headlights/dim/high beams are on

hapi

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 4, 2020
Sweden
Hi! I'm fairly new to this type of work, I'm not familiar with every term and how I should describe everything, so sorry for that beforehand.

I got help from my friends installing a 400W Subwoofer in my car (1998 BWM E46 328Ci). We hooked up the sub as it was intended to, using a 1200W amp my friend had laying around. Remote is connected to the read lights and the amp directly to the battery, with a fuse in between. Source for the sound comes directly from the original bass speakers.

The problem begins when we tried to play music. The amp only turns on when I turn on the brights/high beams (I do not know if its the correct translation) on the car, or when I'm steping on the brake pedal. Sometimes when I use dim lights the subwoofer starts to function but it stops after maybe 10 seconds.

My friends gave up so here I am, close to not knowing anything about sound, trying to find a soulton. I was struggling with it for about 3 months, then I kinda gave up. If someone could give a tip or anything that could help, I would be so thankful <3

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
Hi! I'm fairly new to this type of work, I'm not familiar with every term and how I should describe everything, so sorry for that beforehand.

I got help from my friends installing a 400W Subwoofer in my car (1998 BWM E46 328Ci). We hooked up the sub as it was intended to, using a 1200W amp my friend had laying around. Remote is connected to the read lights and the amp directly to the battery, with a fuse in between. Source for the sound comes directly from the original bass speakers.

The problem begins when we tried to play music. The amp only turns on when I turn on the brights/high beams (I do not know if its the correct translation) on the car, or when I'm steping on the brake pedal. Sometimes when I use dim lights the subwoofer starts to function but it stops after maybe 10 seconds.

My friends gave up so here I am, close to not knowing anything about sound, trying to find a soulton. I was struggling with it for about 3 months, then I kinda gave up. If someone could give a tip or anything that could help, I would be so thankful <3
Are you saying that the remote wire is connected to your headlights?

hapi

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 4, 2020
Sweden
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
not headlights in the front, but the rear lights. those are always on but the sub seems to only work when i use brake (brake lights go on) or when i use dim or those strong lights in the front (dont remember the correct name for it),.

It switches on and off randomly when I use more electric power in the car (lights of any sort other than basic front and rear lights)

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
not headlights in the front, but the rear lights. those are always on but the sub seems to only work when i use brake (brake lights go on) or when i use dim or those strong lights in the front (dont remember the correct name for it),.

It switches on and off randomly when I use more electric power in the car (lights of any sort other than basic front and rear lights)
I would connect the amplifier's remote wire to Fuse #7 or Fuse #41. They are both audio power sources. Fuse #7 is only 5 volts, but remote circuits require very little voltage to operate.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds