Subwoofer won't get loud anymore

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 12" JL audio 12w3v2 sub and a 1500w planet audio amp. When I turn my door speakers loud, my sub will get so quiet that i cant even tell its playing. It didn't do this until I had my friend tune the gain/frequency on the amp. Checked all my connections, even resoldered/connected everything to be sure. Why is it doing this? I have a cheap high low converter for $10 do you think that could be the problem? Or maybe not enough current?

Thanks!

Horrible idea. So called "friend" fk it up even more.
Op should learn to set the amp properly himself by googling along with youtube.
Well yes but no.

If someone borrowed my shovel in good condition and I got it back rusted up, beat to death and broken, wouldn't you too tell that person to get me a better shovel?

I understand your point of view, but also mine is you did something to it, you fix it.

Pull that extra crossover out of the chain for sure (at least for testing). Set the crossover on the amp somewhere in the middle (80 to 120 hz or so should be fine). Grab a tiny screwdriver and turn the gain all the way down on the amp. Turn the stereo on so music is going (low to medium volume). Start bringing the gain up on the subwoofer amp to match the rest of the audio (to taste). From there you can go back to fine tuning all that stuff again, but at least you'll know if anything fried. Hopefully it's just a setting. It's a decent amount of power you're running, but a vehicle should be able to handle it... Especially if it's running and the alternator is doing some of the work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.