Need advice on a budget subwoofer setup.

Pyrrhio

Number of subs preferred: 1 or 2 (I'd prefer one more powerful 15". 2 are not very likely to be able to fit in my budget or in the trunk of my 2005 Honda Accord.

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 15"

Budget: $300-$350 (Includes Speaker(s), amp, and box. I'm open to building my own if necessary. I'm not too worried about wiring kits as the prices are usually about the same as far as I am aware.

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): I know very little about this kind of stuff and this will be my first time getting/wiring subs so any advice on this I can get I'd really appreciate! I don't know if the RMS wattage affects the sound of the speakers much but I'd also prefer a speaker with an RMS between about 300 and 600.

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): Definitely no more than 36"x18"x22" (this will be a tight fit)

Goals: I want to be able to bump the speakers loud but also don't want to lose sound quality. So if possible I'd like to have a single high quality speaker in a ported or possibly bandpass enclosure.

Listening habits: Some hip hop, lots of EDM(deadmau5, Zeds Dead, etc.).

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: None.

Well ive done some looking for you and found a few options

American Bass TNT 15

or

Sundown E 15 D2

For an amp ive looked but there isnt much for the price range. I found this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CFX58YI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1462908563&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=600+rms+amp&dpPl=1&dpID=41VCvb41yhL&ref=plSrch

Its a Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono Amplifier.

It should work with either sub. Just wire them in parallel or buy a bigger amp and wire in series.

For a box its always better to make one (3.5 cubes tuned to 35-37) or buy a q bomb prefab.

If you match the rms rating of the amp to the sub, you should be good. You can underpower the sub a little bit depending on your feelings about that (saves some $$$), but you mentioned sound quality, and keeping the rms ratings close on the amp and sub will help with that.

Woofers take a beating, surrounds rot out, and voicecoils get cooked on your average used subs on the market. Unless you're looking at pro audio gear, new speakers are probably the way to go. You can save some money by finding a used amp though if you're willing to look a bit or hit eBay.

Also if my math is right, you're aiming for 7 cubic feet of airspace. That will be plenty for a single 15", but you will have some delicate tuning and driver selection ahead of you if you decide to use a pair of them. You could read up on isobaric loading (stacking or small connecting chamber) to cut the airspace to 1/2 of a single sub! But considering the budget and loss of sound output... And you're not running tons of power... I don't think it's worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.