Subwoofer upgrade?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DangerCDV
10+ year member

current box: SEALED, .9 cubic feet per chamber. (subs reverse mounted, yes its small but its all I can fit)

Current amp: Hifonics 1700.1 (gain set very low)

current subs: Sundown E-12s (400rms version)

My question: Should I upgrade to a subwoofer that can handle the power better? Like the SA12 or something like that. I have the gain set to under 1/4 and when my headunit gets a little over half way up, the subs have pretty much hit their peak.

Would I be able to get more output from replacing the subs? Or should I just stick to what I have?

putting the SA 12s into a sealed box is a waste of a good sub. Are you bottoming out/distorting your sub or does it just not get any louder? Would definitely go with ported or a 4th order or even a T - line enclosure instead of a sealed box.

The volume you have those subs in is fine for them but they would obviously do a lot better in a vented enclosure. Also, depending on the signal level coming from your head unit, you probably have the gain set too high and are clipping the subs. Amplifier gains are not volume controls, they're voltage matching pots and if your head unit is sending a 4 volt signal, then setting the gain at ¼ is too high.

No, the sub sounds clean, and hits the low notes much better than my old 10s. But PLEASE, dont suggest a different box. this one is custom and fits perfectly in my extremely tiny trunk, so the box is final!

The sound is fine tho, I just cant give it hardly any of my available power.

as for the Tc Sounds LMS-R, that seems nice but a bit out of my budget. I was looking more towards $200 or less range per sub.

The gains are set fine. I can turn the speakers up to more than good enough for listening levels before the subwoofers give out. I just want more bass.

I just wanted to know if replacing the 400rms subs to something around 600+rms each would help me get more bang from my 1700rms from the amplifier.

Would anyone recomend Polyfil??? to "increase" the sealed volume?

The gains are set fine. I can turn the speakers up to more than good enough for listening levels before the subwoofers give out. I just want more bass.I just wanted to know if replacing the 400rms subs to something around 600+rms each would help me get more bang from my 1700rms from the amplifier.

Would anyone recomend Polyfil??? to "increase" the sealed volume?
RMS power ratings are for thermal capacity, not loudness. That means a 600W+ RMS sub is not guaranteed to sound louder than a 400W RMS sub. Put the subs in a proper ported enclosure and I guarantee you will notice louder bass.

Polyfill might help the lower notes seem louder, but it's not going to give you what you want. A smaller sealed enclosure is safer if you have a lot of power available, but don't be tempted to turn the bass boost or gain up.

okay, well im simply asking if upgrading to a sundown SA-12 (the step up form the Sundown E series) Or similar subwoofer would give me more bass output.

I do not want to mess with the gains any more on my current set up, everything sounds fine, I would just like MORE bass output.

Cant wait till I get an SUV... im going ported

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.