Subwoofer Upgrade/Change

Participant count
  • Participant list

ogloc.1574

CarAudio.com Newbie
Toronto
I have a kicker comp cvr 12” subwoofer (cant remember if 2 or 4 ohm)in the appropriate sized ported enclosure running off a kicker cx300.1 amp. I have had this setup for almost 8 years and I figure I may as well sell it while it works and get something fresh. Assume everything will be set up properly.

What I am considering is either going with a higher end subwoofer 12” or maybe switch to a 15”. Looking at a kicker CompQ subwoofer in either case but open to other recommendations.

I am going for SQL and listen to electronic, dance, rap, hiphop, and rnb

My questions are:
Is a 15” subwoofer going to have lower sq than a 12” or is that a myth?

Will the sound quality or pressure difference be noticeable on a higher end 12”

Is the CompQ a good choice or will it be too close to the cvr12? What do you recommend?

Here is my current setup:
2004 lexus es330 3.3L v6
kenwood excelon kfc-173 6.75” coaxial speakers on all doors with dynamat with aftermarket tweeters (not sure what i got in there) running off kenwood excelon x302-4 amp
Factory rear deck subwoofer was replaced with a rockford fosgate punch 12” and dynamatted midrange speaker. Running off its own amp
Comp cvr12” running off cx300.1 trunk dynamatted

Thank you guys!

People tend to overestimate what they will gain by switching setups. Noticeable gains require pretty drastic changes. Also, everyone defines "set up properly" differently, so clarification is needed there. For example, the difference between a proper 12" box and a proper 15" box is a lot more than the size of the hole. That's not a jab at you, just a general observation.

If I remember right, those old silver 12" CVR's were rated at 400w. You might be satisfied with your current sub with a little more power.

If you are looking for vast improvements, then the first step is to determine your quantifiable goals.

I have a kicker comp cvr 12” subwoofer (cant remember if 2 or 4 ohm)in the appropriate sized ported enclosure running off a kicker cx300.1 amp. I have had this setup for almost 8 years and I figure I may as well sell it while it works and get something fresh. Assume everything will be set up properly.

What I am considering is either going with a higher end subwoofer 12” or maybe switch to a 15”. Looking at a kicker CompQ subwoofer in either case but open to other recommendations.

I am going for SQL and listen to electronic, dance, rap, hiphop, and rnb

My questions are:
Is a 15” subwoofer going to have lower sq than a 12” or is that a myth?

Will the sound quality or pressure difference be noticeable on a higher end 12”

Is the CompQ a good choice or will it be too close to the cvr12? What do you recommend?

Here is my current setup:
2004 lexus es330 3.3L v6
kenwood excelon kfc-173 6.75” coaxial speakers on all doors with dynamat with aftermarket tweeters (not sure what i got in there) running off kenwood excelon x302-4 amp
Factory rear deck subwoofer was replaced with a rockford fosgate punch 12” and dynamatted midrange speaker. Running off its own amp
Comp cvr12” running off cx300.1 trunk dynamatted

Thank you guys!

You would need to update your sub amp as well. A higher quality 12" sub on more power is what you need. Look at an American Bass Hawk 12" sub on a CT sounds 2000.1.

I like the idea of upping the power on my current subwoofer and seeing if I like that. I will check that out for sure.

I just saw a few videos and I am stuck between:
Rockford fosgate t2s2 13” rated for 2000rms 4 cuft ported box
Kicker Compq 12” 4 ohm rated for 850 rms 3.3 cuft ported box

Now here is another question:
Assume whatever sub are going to be in their rated box. Assuming I run 850rms regardless of subwoofer,what would be the better choice for quality and performance?

I like the idea of upping the power on my current subwoofer and seeing if I like that. I will check that out for sure.

Assume whatever sub are going to be in their rated box. Assuming I run 850rms regardless of subwoofer,what would be the better choice for quality and performance?

The Rockford.

Rockford and kicker are gonna be alotmof money. I'd wager to bet that you could get just as loud with probably 1/2 to 3/4 the cost.

And sq is based on the speaker box design matched to the acoustics of the vehicle. The speaker itself doesn't really equate to much unless you are using the speakers fs and box tuning to work with or around vehicle acoustics.

A pair of American bass xfl 12s on 2000w would be loud and sound fairly good. A pair of savard hi q 12s on 2000w would sound good as well. Personally I liked my sundown SA on the same power.

If you were gonna do a 15 I'd probably shoot for a 1000w one with 1500w amp or a 1500w sub on a 2000w amp.

Remember that these big amps draw a fair bit of current 2000w is at least 200amps of current.

Meaning you will need bigger power and ground runs, and possibly a high output alt or extra batteries

Quality goes to Rockford at any power level. Rockford Fosgate makes top tier **** at top tier prices. I would run all RF equipment if I could justify the cost and space requirements. Performance at 850w goes to Kicker. Higher power handling means less efficiency and less performance on lower power. A 500w subwoofer is optimized at 500w, whereas a 2000w subwoofer is laughing at 500w.

Quality goes to Rockford at any power level. Rockford Fosgate makes top tier **** at top tier prices. I would run all RF equipment if I could justify the cost and space requirements. Performance at 850w goes to Kicker. Higher power handling means less efficiency and less performance on lower power. A 500w subwoofer is optimized at 500w, whereas a 2000w subwoofer is laughing at 500w.

I will be running closer to 850w. So between the t2s2-13 and the compq would your choice would be the t2s2-13?

I will be running closer to 850w. So between the t2s2-13 and the compq would your choice would be the t2s2-13?

Actually the P3 would be a better choice IMO.

Screenshot_20221003-194746_Chrome.jpg

I was going to suggest a Type R. I really like the Type R's.

Get a 1k mono amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...