subwoofer T/A VS. phase

Participant count
  • Participant list

tcguy85
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
should t/a have an affect on phase, specifically on a sub?

i was playing around with both the phase and t/a on my sub tonight, just trying different things out.

i had the sub set at 38" away and the phase on "normal"... set the sub at 160" instead (where the auto t/a puts it) and it sounded kinda strange... reversed the phase and SHAZZAM, sounds better than ever.

this leads me to believe that different t/a setting may cause the need to change the phase. is this obvious and i didn't realize it? am i crazy? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

sounds about right.

as for the Q, well, a wave goes through 360d per cycle, and each cycle has some period, eg 20hz repeats 20 times per second, so 50ms per cycle. so every 50ms, 360d of the wave play. thats around 7d per millisecond.

and for 100hz, there is 360d per 10ms. so 1ms of delay is 36d of phase shift

looking at a few more points, its easy to see that a time delay means phase increases linearly with frequency.

this is not bad, as the group delay -- the difference in time arrival -- is zero.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.