Subwoofer suggestions for my amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

asdasd

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, i have this amplifier (Alfa Linear AL320.4) in my car, the previous owner installed it, but the subwoofer isnt working. The amp has power going through it, so its still fine. Any ideas on what subwoofers supports the amp? Not sure how to select a subwoofer for the amp since there is watts and ohms matters.. It would be nice if you include what to check for when buying sub for this amp. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
not an ideal sub amp really unless you get 2 dual 2 ohm woofers and wire them up to 4 each, but even then, youd be getting a small amount of power. SoundQubed has a 800 watt amp on sale for $100 and you can get an american bass xd series 12 for around 80 or so

not an ideal sub amp really unless you get 2 dual 2 ohm woofers and wire them up to 4 each, but even then, youd be getting a small amount of power. SoundQubed has a 800 watt amp on sale for $100 and you can get an american bass xd series 12 for around 80 or so
previous subwoofer was 4ohms, wired in bridged.

Hey there mate!

So your subwoofer is not working.  Suggest you take the subwoofer out to see any ratings on the subwoofer.  With an external amp like yours, I presume its an aftermarket subwoofer system so check first then also turn the gain down on the amp and test with a test speaker, something that is not a tweeter, but a 5 or 6 inch speaker.  This will further determine that its the subwoofer that is causing this issue. 

Also check the amp if it does not have a setting to choose, 2 or 4 channel operation :)

Once you have reached a conclusion and know the subwoofers impedance, then you can go shopping for a new subwoofer / or amplifier if the rear channels have not been fried. :uhoh:

Let us know how you go mate!

20151103_191954.jpg

Any dual 4ohm sub rated for 300-500 watts should work fine... then bridge each coil to a pair of channels...

As posted above you might want to make sure the sub is the culprit before you buy anything... you can test it with a 9v battery to see if the cone jumps....

Also as suggested you can do much better as far as the amp goes but that's up to you....

Hey there mate!

So your subwoofer is not working.  Suggest you take the subwoofer out to see any ratings on the subwoofer.  With an external amp like yours, I presume its an aftermarket subwoofer system so check first then also turn the gain down on the amp and test with a test speaker, something that is not a tweeter, but a 5 or 6 inch speaker.  This will further determine that its the subwoofer that is causing this issue. 

Also check the amp if it does not have a setting to choose, 2 or 4 channel operation :)

Once you have reached a conclusion and know the subwoofers impedance, then you can go shopping for a new subwoofer / or amplifier if the rear channels have not been fried. :uhoh:

Let us know how you go mate!

View attachment 3204

the subwoofer is the problem, i have checked it with 9v battery, no reaction. Plus, the subwoofer is Kicker brand and very old. It says 4 ohms and the model number, i cant seem to find any specification online with that model..

Any dual 4ohm sub rated for 300-500 watts should work fine... then bridge each coil to a pair of channels...

As posted above you might want to make sure the sub is the culprit before you buy anything... you can test it with a 9v battery to see if the cone jumps....

Also as suggested you can do much better as far as the amp goes but that's up to you....
Yes, i have already checked with 9v battery, nothing happened. The amp's power led is lighting up so amp is probably fine..

Hey mate, as I suggested, although the amp lights up, you still need to test the rear bridged channels to a speaker. Once you know its all good, then go and find a subwoofer to suit your needs and budget.

Thank you for clarifying checking the subwoofer for us mate! :)

20140704_161437.jpg

DRBOOM said:
Hey mate, as I suggested, although the amp lights up, you still need to test the rear bridged channels to a speaker. Once you know its all good, then go and find a subwoofer to suit your needs and budget.

Thank you for clarifying checking the subwoofer for us mate! :)

View attachment 3216
I'd love to hear that install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.