Subwoofer suggestions for budget SQL?

Which of these subs would you vote for?

• Total voters

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Currently i have a hifonics brutus 1600bxi amp and i'm looking to buy a musical subwoofer thats pretty accurate, has a good punch and good frequency response, especially around the 50hz-100hz range and plays the lows moderately well. I'd prefer "punch leaving you breathless" and accuracy over reaching down super low. I will be putting it in a sealed box to get the flattest response I can. I'm tired of subs where it only hits the 45hz and below leaving most of my music bassless or sounding like a trainwreck so

"Big Emphasis" on not wanting subs that only does well with lows and spl.

Budget is 180$ total including shipping and taxes.

some subwoofers i'm looking at right now are the JL W3s(can get them for 100 on craigslist), rockford fosgate p3s for 140$ at sonicelectronix, the newest alpine type R model that has a 300-1000 rms range for 120 on craigslist.

I'm still new to the subwoofer scene and I know there are excellent brands(memphis, sundown, SSA, etc) and subwoofers in the car audio classifieds but i'm not sure which would have the frequency response and punch that I like.

Thanks for reading and responding ahead of time =]

"SQL" and "budget" really do not mix well (otherwise everyone would have SQL). And only one of these subs (unless it's extra large) will not give you the type of bass to take your breath away. Also, Hifonics and sound quality don't really mix well either. Putting the sub in a sealed box also isnt the best way to get a bass hit that leaves you breathless.

My totally biased opinion would be the SSA Gcon. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Lol

I voted P3, but realized you want good 40hz instead of good 30hz.

So I'll agree w/ Denim and say Gcon, or Tantric LD

Lol
I voted P3, but realized you want good 40hz instead of good 30hz.

So I'll agree w/ Denim and say Gcon, or Tantric LD
Hey, I'm honest. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

if you have the space, there are a few mb quart pwe 15's around on woofersetc, the work well in a 1.5 sealed box, and i believe they are on sale at around 140 shipped. they have the d2 ohm version. there was a rwe version on sale in the classifieds. they are very efficient and sound very good and don't need gobs of power to reach their potential. if not enough space for a 15, gcon 12.

My trunk only has clearance for 12" or maybe 13" so i cant go any more than that.

From all the votes in the comments and some research on specs and reviews on all the brands mentionedt seems like I will be on the hunt for an SSA GCON since it'll work nicely wired parallel to my amp.

I also just traded out some unused amps and for an alpine type r newest SWR 300-1000rms version. This was just to try it out to see how it sounds and i can easily sell a type R to all the ricers in my neighborhood. It sounds better than my old subwoofer, it hits more notes and its a lot tighter response.

However i'll probably run both the type R and SSA gcon with the type r in a smaller box while the Gcon will be in a well designed box that will probably take up more trunkspace. Would that be a good set up for some moderate(key word moderate not good or $$$$ excellent) sound quality with some breathless punch? If not i'll probably sell the alpine at a later date and get a matching SSA if i really like the sub's sound signature.

thanks for all the replies, you guys have been most helpful //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...