subwoofer sounds HORRIBLE

If it sounds just god awful This mythical "break in period" is not gona help ...ive never broken in a sub even On 2-3times rms..amd once the suspension loosened up.there was no audible difference..id try to move the box all around and turn that ssf off as suggested and report back..ive heard a cpl xcons sealed and they are far from awful sounding ..one was in crappy auido shop prefab

If it sounds just god awful This mythical "break in period" is not gona help ...ive never broken in a sub even On 2-3times rms..amd once the suspension loosened up.there was no audible difference..id try to move the box all around and turn that ssf off as suggested and report back..ive heard a cpl xcons sealed and they are far from awful sounding ..one was in crappy auido shop prefab
Agreed. "break in" is largely a myth and with the vast majority of woofers won't make any audible difference.

I have the same loading issue in my daily driver hatch. When using a single 12, regardless of which SSA sub I use, firing to either side really muffles the output a decent amount. As the characteristics of a little Mazda hatch is similar to my old Explorer (original SSA testbed), the only way my ears seem to like is either upward fire or occasionally rear fire with ported enclosures.

Agreed. "break in" is largely a myth and with the vast majority of woofers won't make any audible difference.
Well personally I had two fresh and still American Bass HD12s, and I broke each in on 3kw individually. At first they'd barely move and sounded awful. Now they loosened up a bit, and the output is much greater. Huge difference.

XCON - YouTube

this is what my sub sounds like, its crackling, and im BARELY even giving them power, this is on volume 18 out of 40 on my pioneer avh x8500 with my crescendo bc2000, its only at about 8-900 wats at this volume IF that.

subsonic on 25 hertz, low pass 60-70 hertz, gain is not set that high on my amp, 0 bass boost

Well personally I had two fresh and still American Bass HD12s, and I broke each in on 3kw individually. At first they'd barely move and sounded awful. Now they loosened up a bit, and the output is much greater. Huge difference.
Without some before and after TS parameters termlab numbers, or RTA graphs that statement is completely subjective.

XCON - YouTube

this is what my sub sounds like, its crackling, and im BARELY even giving them power, this is on volume 18 out of 40 on my pioneer avh x8500 with my crescendo bc2000, its only at about 8-900 wats at this volume IF that.

subsonic on 25 hertz, low pass 60-70 hertz, gain is not set that high on my amp, 0 bass boost

Sounds like it is flexing the box apart or dust cap is loose

XCON - YouTube

That sounds like a mechanical noise. Maybe a loose panel on the box, a leak around the sub or the surround or spider has come loose. It could also be the amp but it's hard to tell from a recording.

That sounds like a mechanical noise. Maybe a loose panel on the box, a leak around the sub or the surround or spider has come loose. It could also be the amp but it's hard to tell from a recording.
I'm gonna check it tomorrow. There's a foot of snow right now. It could possibly be the box but not sure, it was sounding really good before then this sound came in out of no where. I hope to god it's the box. I will take a video and record everything

I'm gonna check it tomorrow. There's a foot of snow right now. It could possibly be the box but not sure, it was sounding really good before then this sound came in out of no where. I hope to god it's the box. I will take a video and record everything
My PM reply reflects what has been mentioned above. Inspect everything first, as the Xcon will have zero issues with that power or that enclosure if I understand everything so far.

that xcon might be destroying that sealed prefab lol. You might wanna add tons glue to seal the box even more and a flush double baffle onto that box. Maybe some fiberglass resin to make it a little bit stronger.

that xcon might be destroying that sealed prefab lol. You might wanna add tons glue to seal the box even more and a flush double baffle onto that box. Maybe some fiberglass resin to make it a little bit stronger.
im just hoping its the box and not the sub. doesnt make any sense for the sub to sound like that when its literally brand new and its the first time its ever been powered on

im talking about sound quality, not really loudness, i know i can throw 2k watts at the xcon and it will be a monster but thats not the point here. im trying to figure out why the my SSA sub isnt sounding that good and why my alpines sounded way better, im assuming its because they were ported in a nicely tuned box
Your alpines weren't in a very nicely tuned box at 39hz.

Your alpines weren't in a very nicely tuned box at 39hz.
they sounded great, trust me, for literally everyt type of music i listened to. Jason @mobile enclosures is very good at what he does in designs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.