subwoofer sounds HORRIBLE

RoYALbLUE08
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NYC
why does my 12" xcon sound like crap? i put it in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed subwoofer box with polyfil running it off a crescendo BC2k amp, subsonic on like 30 hertz and low pass on around 60-70hz

it doesnt sound like its hitting the notes right at all sounds really cheap actually , like something is hitting a wooden box

i previously had the 2 10inch alpine type r's in a custom ported box at 39 hertz (same radio, same amp, same settings) and it sounded WAYYYY louder, cleaner, better

is it an absolute MUST to get a custom ported box for it?

the sealed box i got TEMPORARY till the summer when i build my custom ported box at 32 hertz, 2.5 cubic feet.

its a Belva 12 inch box from sonicelectronix with 1.5 internal NET cubic volume, dont say cuz its a prefab box, cuz if you built a custom sealed box with the same dimensions and 1.5 cubic feet it wouldnt even make a difference.

I would recommend a custom built ported box. Another reason why the two 10's sounded louder is because they had a cone area of 157 sq inches and the single 12'' only has a cone area of 113 sq inches.

I just replied to you on SSA. Something is up as the Xcon does not sound horrible sealed, way too many happy customers running it sealed. Check for leaks, and all connections. Also, give the sub time to break in. It does not have to be ported, but it would help output efficiency.

I would recommend a custom built ported box. Another reason why the two 10's sounded louder is because they had a cone area of 157 sq inches and the single 12'' only has a cone area of 113 sq inches.

thers no way 2 alpines should sound better than 1 xcon though lol. i guess i need to break in my subwoofer more, this was the first time it ever played sound, but yes a custom built ported box is in the works in about a 2 months

I just replied to you on SSA. Something is up as the Xcon does not sound horrible sealed, way too many happy customers running it sealed. Check for leaks, and all connections. Also, give the sub time to break in. It does not have to be ported, but it would help output efficiency.
yep i saw it i replied back, i will try to see how it plays with a little more tuning and breaking it in more after 3 weeks, about how many hours do you recommend for break in procedure? 10? 15? 20?

thers no way 2 alpines should sound better than 1 xcon though lol. i guess i need to break in my subwoofer more, this was the first time it ever played sound, but yes a custom built ported box is in the works in about a 2 months
You would be surprised what more cone area can do.

You would be surprised what more cone area can do.
im talking about sound quality, not really loudness, i know i can throw 2k watts at the xcon and it will be a monster but thats not the point here. im trying to figure out why the my SSA sub isnt sounding that good and why my alpines sounded way better, im assuming its because they were ported in a nicely tuned box

I think you just answered your own question.
but still i dont think being in a sealed box at the manufactures recommended optimal dimensions of 1.5 cubic feet should sound like the way it is now granted its not broken in yet. i will wait 3 weeks then give an honest review

so i fixed it, it definately sounds better than it did before. the location made a HUGE difference and i tuned it to better frequency's from my amp and headunit. definately a huge improvement from before.

i had the sub firing sideways toward the quarter panel of my car (not firing toward the trunk or the cabin) then i made it fire to the trunk opening right behind the back seat and it sounded way better.

thanks for the help

yep i saw it i replied back, i will try to see how it plays with a little more tuning and breaking it in more after 3 weeks, about how many hours do you recommend for break in procedure? 10? 15? 20?
Just play it normally. It will break in gradually overtime. You will notice a difference in depth and output. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You don't need the infrasonic filter if you're running a sealed box. The box itself will control excursion and by turning that filter up, you've effectively guaranteed that the sub won't hit a low note.

You don't need the infrasonic filter if you're running a sealed box. The box itself will control excursion and by turning that filter up, you've effectively guaranteed that the sub won't hit a low note.
so what would i put my subsonic filter on? turn it all the way to 0?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.