Subwoofer shared space question...

Participant count
  • Participants list

CPolarBear

CarAudio.com Newbie
NC
I have two older Pioneer 12" subs. If memory serves, they require 2.0 cf for a sealed enclosure. Would they work well in a prefab dual sub hatchback box (angled front) that has 1.25 cf per side/woofer, if I were to drill out some port-sized holes in the center brace to merge it into a 2.5 cf sealed space that both subs were sharing? This is a low powered system, with about 300W shared to both subs. Would doing something else to the enclosure be better (I don't' have data on me to figure out what a ported enclosure should be for it, though that 1.25 seems pretty close to what I remember). Putting in a 2010 Nissan Altima, thought the angled front would work well facing into the rear seats through the opening from front to back. Using sub-out from a Boss head that is set at 80 hz... I also considered a sealed 1 cf box and doing a clamshell isobaric setup at about the same cost. Again, these are older subs I already have on hand or I would be pursuing a different options/install. Just looking for simple options, not gonna get into 4th order bandpass or other fancy stuff, this is my commuter car and the upgrade is as much for bluetooth and Android Auto as well as reasonable sound. Not worried about high SPL.

Despite the 2 cf recommendation for sealed? Should I drill the ports in the brace to combine airspace or leave them at 1.25 cf sealed?
I would probably just leave the box the way it is and add 1 pound of polyfill per section Like Jimi77 recommended. If you can find a little bigger sealed box, that would be great, but it can be off a little in a sealed box and still get good sound.

You will lose some low extension from having a too-small box, but what are your options? Your free option is to just go with it and take what you get. Sealed box is fairly forgiving if your airspace is a bit off from "optimum" so it shouldn't be terrible.

You will lose some low extension from having a too-small box, but what are your options? Your free option is to just go with it and take what you get. Sealed box is fairly forgiving if your airspace is a bit off from "optimum" so it shouldn't be terrible.
Options are wide open, but I'm on a tight budget, so just watching for a good deal on an enclosure. I'm not against a smaller single enclosure and a clamshell-install isobaric setup. Not a basshead, just like some better lower end than the 6x9 s in the rear deck will give me. tighter bass, not loose rap-style bass is my goal. Dealing with the trunk of an Altima while not losing all the grocery carrying space, this is my daily commuter car, not a toy...

Options are wide open, but I'm on a tight budget, so just watching for a good deal on an enclosure. I'm not against a smaller single enclosure and a clamshell-install isobaric setup. Not a basshead, just like some better lower end than the 6x9 s in the rear deck will give me. tighter bass, not loose rap-style bass is my goal. Dealing with the trunk of an Altima while not losing all the grocery carrying space, this is my daily commuter car, not a toy...
Conventional wisdom holds that you're looking for Qts of .7 for good "flat" response. Smaller box will give you higher Q which can give you "ringing" or "boominess". More importantly, in a trunk, is often just the position of the box and aiming of the woofer... some experimentation will be needed there to determine what position helps or hurts your sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...