Subwoofer recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

Briceyboy96

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all

I’m looking for a 2 ohm subwoofer to power from am amp that will give 600 watts rms at 2ohms, Im also having a ported enclosure being custom built, around 1.75-2cu ft and tuned to 35hz.

Can I have recommendations for a suitable subwoofer please? I’m looking to spend between £100 and £200 and I’m in the UK.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSD12D4/Pioneer-TS-D12D4.html?tp=111 would meet all of your criteria and is a pretty good subwoofer at that power but recommends a smaller box. This is the one that comes to mind for that box size: https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sdr-12-inch-car-subwoofer Skar gets a bad rep from a lot of folks, but if you keep them within their rated power they're fine.
do you have any personal experience with that sub or are you just repeating what you have read in reviews or on google? I have personal experience with skar and that sub and its complete junk

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSD12D4/Pioneer-TS-D12D4.html?tp=111
would meet all of your criteria and is a pretty good subwoofer at that power but recommends a smaller box.

This is the one that comes to mind for that box size:
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sdr-12-inch-car-subwoofer?variant=4017842225175
Skar gets a bad rep from a lot of folks, but if you keep them within their rated power they're fine.
Is there a 2 ohm version of that sub? My current amp will only dish out 300 watts into 4 ohms. Also is 85db sensitivity quite low?

Is there a 2 ohm version of that sub? My current amp will only dish out 300 watts into 4 ohms. Also is 85db sensitivity quite low?
It's dual 4, so wire the two voice coils parallel and you're there. Two versions on that page though, DVC 2 and DVC 4, I believe the link is for the 4 variant. Yes the sensitivity is a bit low. That brings up a good point though, what size of subwoofer did you want for that box?

It's dual 4, so wire the two voice coils parallel and you're there. Two versions on that page though, DVC 2 and DVC 4, I believe the link is for the 4 variant. Yes the sensitivity is a bit low. That brings up a good point though, what size of subwoofer did you want for that box?
Ah that’s fine, I’m after a 12”, the box doesn’t have to be built specifically to that spec but I can’t have anything over 2 cu ft for my car and I do want to be able to play lows, down to 30hz really

Ah that’s fine, I’m after a 12”, the box doesn’t have to be built specifically to that spec but I can’t have anything over 2 cu ft for my car and I do want to be able to play lows, down to 30hz really
Well it's true the Pioneer is of higher quality, but that recommends a maximum of 1.2cu ft. So it's a matter of whether you want this to be your subwoofer for the car's/enclosure's life or if you think you may want to go bigger later on down the road? If you get a 1.75-2cu ft enclosure you're able to put some pretty high powered drivers in there later on whereas 1.2cu ft might limit you more. I'm sure others will eventually give actual recommendations for 1.75, no others came to my mind right away.

Well it's true the Pioneer is of higher quality, but that recommends a maximum of 1.2cu ft. So it's a matter of whether you want this to be your subwoofer for the car's/enclosure's life or if you think you may want to go bigger later on down the road? If you get a 1.75-2cu ft enclosure you're able to put some pretty high powered drivers in there later on whereas 1.2cu ft might limit you more. I'm sure others will eventually give actual recommendations for 1.75, no others came to my mind right away.
1.2 cu ft is fine! Will I be able to tune to 35hz in a box that size though?

1.2 cu ft is fine! Will I be able to tune to 35hz in a box that size though?
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/thre...n-a-ported-enclosure-pioneer-ts-d12d4.424179/ is an interesting read about that subwoofer. I think getting an experienced ported box maker's opinion would be a good first step on this since they make good points about it, specifically whether going bigger with that sub is a good idea since it would take something more like 1.5cu ft to get to the frequency resonance you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.