Subwoofer recommendation request.

deftones420

It's sizzlin'...sssssssss
I have a pioneer GM-X862 amplifier, and I was wondering which 10" subwoofers are suitable for this because I've already blown up three subs.

I guess it's the distortion that blew up the last subwoofer, but how would I eliminate that? And is there a sample I can play in the stereo to test out any distortion going through the sub.

Thanks in advance.

Please sell your amplifier and find a new hobby...
lol...really? It hits as hard, or probably even harder, than my friend's system. And the dude's running two 12" JL subs.

And on another note, it appears that you may need to find something else to do rather than bashing someone trying to look for some help. Idiot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

lol...really? It hits as hard, or probably even harder, than my friend's system. And the dude's running two 12" JL subs.
And on another note, it appears that you may need to find something else to do rather than bashing someone trying to look for some help. Idiot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Yeah, I'm clearly the idiot here.

Please tell us about the 3 subs you destroyed...

Yeah, I'm clearly the idiot here.
Please tell us about the 3 subs you destroyed...
Ahem, I'm sure being that you're knowledgeable of these things, you were once a rookie too. So, please stop pretending like you came out of the womb installing car audio systems already.

Thanks.

Thanks guys.

Is there a way to check the RMS power output of an amplifier with a digital multi-meter (DMM) besides finding the specs online? It's not printed on the amp itself.

http://uksi.fastmail.fm/Pioneer_GM-X962.pdfI found this... Its the specs for this amp. How you blew 3 subs idk. Like they said check out that gain control thing. Hope this helps!
My amp's a GM-X862, but I'll check it out see if I can find my amp. Thanks a lot.

I'm sure three subs died because of too much gain output, and a lot of distortion.

Question for everyone:

Is distortion a result from unwanted resistance in the wires? Or Loose connections? Is there a music sample of distortion that I can test out?

*Because I heard from a friend, that if I take a really bad quality music sample and play it through the stereo, I would be able to channel out the distortion coming from the sub. Which'll also give me a better result controlling the gain output of the amp.

Thanks again guys.

Distortion is a result of a "dirty" signal. Everything has its limits as to how much signal it can put out. Your head unit has a point where it sends a cliped signal to your amp which in turn sends that to your sub.. Your amp has a point where if you do not set the gains properly it will send a cliped signal to your sub(s) also. If your head unit goes to volume 60, i would say stop at 54 or so. if it goes to 30, stop at 25. Do please go search "setting gains"

Your distortion is comming from you pushing your headunit or amplifer to far.

Does your amplifier have Fueses on the outside of it? What size are they?

Set everything with as little "bass boost" as you can. Do not crank your bass boost up on the amp or head unit.

Hope this helps some

Distortion is a result of a "dirty" signal. Everything has its limits as to how much signal it can put out. Your head unit has a point where it sends a cliped signal to your amp which in turn sends that to your sub.. Your amp has a point where if you do not set the gains properly it will send a cliped signal to your sub(s) also. If your head unit goes to volume 60, i would say stop at 54 or so. if it goes to 30, stop at 25. Do please go search "setting gains" Your distortion is comming from you pushing your headunit or amplifer to far.

Does your amplifier have Fueses on the outside of it? What size are they?

Set everything with as little "bass boost" as you can. Do not crank your bass boost up on the amp or head unit.

Hope this helps some
How would one obtain a "clean" signal? What do these terms, "clip" or "clipped" or "clipping" mean? I would think distortion is some sort of resistance, like, the cables aren't getting the proper voltage drop or something...or loose connections, bad wires/cables, etc...

I have yet to do some valuable research on "gain setting controls." What's the most general tip when it comes to setting the proper gain output of an amplifier. There are so much to do research on, I just wouldn't know where to start.

My amp has 2x25A fuses on the outside of it.

Yeah, when I'm playing with the equalizer on the head unit, I try not to set so much boost. Let me guess, will current (amps) vary the amount of gain I will need from the amplifier when the EQ settings on the head unit has changed?

On the head unit manual, where in the specs would I look for to find out the potential (yet safe) output of the component. How would I compare those specifications to the amplifier?

Thank you guys so much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.