Subwoofer pops

broobyler

I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 250.2 bridged mono powering a Fosgate HE RFP3412. The speaker is in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box. After bassing it for a bit today, the speaker began to distort. Fearing it was blown, I listened to it and at certain frequencies the speaker makes a "scratchy" sound. Almost like the pole piece is rubbing against the magnet. This is the second speaker of the same model that I've done this to. In both cases the surround shows no signs of seperation from the housing. I'm beginning to feel that this is due to substandard manufacturing on the part of Fosgate as both speakers have been blown before a year is up. While I don't always play them *quietly* I don't feel that I'm abusing them. The speakers don't seem to sound like they're distorting until all of the sudden they no longer work appropriately.

Is there anything that could be causing this that I'm not thinking of? Is there any way to repair these speakers (for a reasonable charge)? Lastly, if the problem *is* Rockford Fosgate, I'd like some recommendations on other speakers. (12 inches that would work well in a sealed box of 1.25 or 1.75 cu. ft.)

Thanks!

your must likely right the coil is deforming and rubbing the pole. With the system off push the cone in evenly. if you hear a rubbing sound then it's either deformed or misaligned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.