Subwoofer popping/ amp clipping

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tripp11

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a skar evl 12 being powered by an rp.1200 with a boss audio receiver. I’ve had problems with it clipping around 42 volume for a while now, but when I play a sine wave at 40hz it plays perfectly fine and I can turn it all the way to 50. Seems like it only clips when there is a rapid beat or it hits the lows too “hard”. My dad has an evl 12 powered by a fosgate 1200 and a power acoustic headunit. my subwoofer plays perfectly fine, and sounds just like his when in his truck. But the second it’s back in my truck it starts to make weird sounds. Could my headunit be sending dirty signals? Or is it a wiring problem?

Boss audio is known for being extremely low quality. It is very possible that it is causing the problem.
Try this. Raise the gain at your amplifier. See if the sub/amp will play the same loudness where you are having problems with a lower volume from the Boss . If the sub still does it at the same thing at the same loudness regardless of what number is showing on the boss, it is not the Boss.

I have a skar evl 12 being powered by an rp.1200 with a boss audio receiver. I’ve had problems with it clipping around 42 volume for a while now, but when I play a sine wave at 40hz it plays perfectly fine and I can turn it all the way to 50. Seems like it only clips when there is a rapid beat or it hits the lows too “hard”. My dad has an evl 12 powered by a fosgate 1200 and a power acoustic headunit. my subwoofer plays perfectly fine, and sounds just like his when in his truck. But the second it’s back in my truck it starts to make weird sounds. Could my headunit be sending dirty signals? Or is it a wiring problem?
I would definitely check all your connections just to be sure.

It's very likely this has to do with box rise and the fact that you should test for clipping along the entire frequency range that the sub plays.

The boss headunits is always suspect and more often than not will clip at higher volume itself.

It also could be the sub unloading in the enclosure.

Along the same line a brief pulse of clip usually won't kill a sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...