subwoofer - no amp?

Motofox
10+ year member

i just recently purchased a jvc head unit off ebay as well as a 12" kicker crv subwoofer from a friend. However i do not yet have an amplifier for the subwoofer, can i connect the subwoofer to the head unit without an amp? possible/not possible, or just recommended for quality and safety reasons?

something is missing though (im guessing the amp,) on the back of the head unit i have two rca inputs for the sub and i have the wire, but on the sub it has these pieces of metal that screw tight or loose, is that how it is with all subwoofers?

sorry i am a noob when it comes to car audio...

You could hook it up.....I dont think it will hurt anything (dont quote me on it). But you wont hardly hear the sub at all.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i just recently purchased a jvc head unit off ebay as well as a 12" kicker crv subwoofer from a friend. However i do not yet have an amplifier for the subwoofer, can i connect the subwoofer to the head unit without an amp? possible/not possible, or just recommended for quality and safety reasons?
something is missing though (im guessing the amp,) on the back of the head unit i have two rca inputs for the sub and i have the wire, but on the sub it has these pieces of metal that screw tight or loose, is that how it is with all subwoofers?

sorry i am a noob when it comes to car audio...
It is possible to run it off your HU, but it is generally not recommended due to 'lack of output' reasons. The RCA's for the sub should be used only if you have an amp. If you want to run it without an amp, you will need to use one set of the powered HU speaker leads (preferably the rears).
But really, you aren't going to like the results... so just get an amp already.

The "wires" you're refering to on the back of the head unit are low level outputs, refered to as RCA's. These are for use with an amp. You will not use these without an amplifier. You would just use the high level outputs (speaker leads) to hook up your sub without an amp... but nobody here is going to recommend that and I'm not either. Do yourself a favor, get an amp.

No. I wouldnt recommend that at all. Ive seen people do it with small subs but they spliced into the speaker wires foor the door speakerts and then they fukked up their hu. So save up some money and buy an amp!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.