Subwoofer issues

jws2390

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a JL Audio 12" sub with a SSL 1500 watt single channel amp, my head unit is a Boss bv8685. My amp will power up but the sub only hits once then the amp goes into protection mode, can anyone help me diagnose this issue?

What is the rated wattage for the sub? Also check the wiring from the amp to the sub. Make sure there are no frayed ends of the wire touching the wrong pole.

Last edited:
The speaker wire is 12 ga and is new, the sub is rated at 400 watts rms, yes I know 1500 is overkill so I have the amp turned all the way down. I don't know what the max wattage rating is.

Looks all the ssl 1500w amplifiers I seen are class AB and at those prices more than likely highly inefficient...so what could potentially be happening is it's going into low voltage because of current draw or hitting thermal since ab run hot...but I could be way off here...it's just an idea 😳

Looks all the ssl 1500w amplifiers I seen are class AB and at those prices more than likely highly inefficient...so what could potentially be happening is it's going into low voltage because of current draw or hitting thermal since ab run hot...but I could be way off here...it's just an idea 😳
Any suggestions are appreciated, a friend told me to reposition the ground and I'll try that when it quits raining

What ohm is the sub?
Is your sub dual voice coil?
What's the lowest ohm load your amp supports?

Is it wired too low, causing amp to go in to protect?

Last edited:
I don't know the model of your amp, but seen this video of a SSL 1500 and it doesn't even put out 200w at 2-ohm.

Could be a power issue, power or ground wire (even the connectors on the wires), shorted speaker wire, too low impedance for amp, a bad amplifier, or a bad sub. Voltage measurements can help, resistance measurements as well to look for a short at the speaker / wire or excessively low resistance in a coil. Most of this testing is fairly quick, but troubleshooting the exact issue might take a bit of work. I'd lean towards wiring issue or bad amplifier, but it's all a guess at this point.

As mentioned already, the actual impedance / specs of sub could help here, and the exact model of the amplifier as well.

This video shows an SSL 1500 amp not even close to its ratings.

Pull the sub and check the coils with a DMM and see if its within the Ohm limitations. Its possible you cooked a coil or two on the sub

Last edited:
I don't know the model of your amp, but seen this video of a SSL 1500 and it doesn't even put out 200w at 2-ohm.

Could be a power issue, power or ground wire (even the connectors on the wires), shorted speaker wire, too low impedance for amp, a bad amplifier, or a bad sub. Voltage measurements can help, resistance measurements as well to look for a short at the speaker / wire or excessively low resistance in a coil. Most of this testing is fairly quick, but troubleshooting the exact issue might take a bit of work. I'd lean towards wiring issue or bad amplifier, but it's all a guess at this point.

As mentioned already, the actual impedance / specs of sub could help here, and the exact model of the amplifier as well.

This video shows an SSL 1500 amp not even close to its ratings.

Thats pretty sad man. UGGGH!! 😩 😩 😩 😩 😩 :poop: Id have to toss that joker

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...