SUBWOOFER HELP!

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jayser8558

CarAudio.com Newbie
So installed a system in my car and I have an audio pipe txx-bdc4-12 rated at 2200 max power and 1100 RMS power. I have it on a taramps 3000.1 amp and the sub is only like 4 days old whenever I turn the sub up a decent bit and play a song with lots of constant hard bass this nasty smell starts to come out of the port hole on the sub box it smells almost like its burning or something. I don't know if it's burning or if it's smelling like that just because it's relatively new and it doesn't have that much time me using it.

Sounds like prefab city to me, take a 40hz tuned box and try to play under 30hz... fail.
Other things may be at fault but that's the biggest culprit.

its in a regular 12 inch sub box with a slight opening to the left of it I bought in a audio shop. so if its clipping that means I'm damaging it right?

If you are smelling your sub then something is wrong. Your playing too low of a frequency for too long. You need to get your system tuned correctly and get a box specifically made for your sub and tuned accordingly.

If you are smelling your sub then something is wrong. Your playing too low of a frequency for too long. You need to get your system tuned correctly and get a box specifically made for your sub and tuned accordingly.
so this has nothing to do with me pushing the sub too much? because the amp is 3000 watts and the sub is only 2200 watts max power and 1100 rms

for example im playing a song like this that's the link the bass is like modified its only when i play a song like this and have the bass high

its in a regular 12 inch sub box with a slight opening to the left of it I bought in a audio shop. so if its clipping that means I'm damaging it right?

Regular and slight opening are relative words. Post a pic and specifications of your subwoofer box. The guys in here don't play with "regular" boxes or "slight" openings. Buying it in an audio shop means nothing. If you want real answers then post pics of your box and your amps settings. The guys will give you some real and raw answers in here.

I don't know if it's burning or if it's smelling like that just because it's relatively new and it doesn't have that much time me using it.
Brand new subs need a break-in period before being pushed hard. That said, even old subs will at times smell when pushed hard. Best thing you can do now is turn down the gain on the amp. Get yourself a Multi-Meter, plug it into the amp's subwoofer outputs (no subs plugged in), set multimeter to AC Volts.
Download a Syne wave player and use the 40Hz tone. Play through BT to the car radio.
Set radio volume at 75%, Bass boost off, Bass on eq at max, amp remote at 1/2. Sweep gain on amp until you get 66 AC volts on the multimeter. This should be about 1100 watts.
Reconnect sub and use the system judiciously. See if things calm down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...