Subwoofer enclosure: air tight?

Golitan11

Canada
I just built my first enclosure (L-Slot ported, 2 cubic feet @ 35 hz) for my Sundown SA-12 and I have a few questions about air leaking:

1. Do I need to use some weather stripping or else to seal all around the subwoofer or it is not necessary?

2. For the upper-back part of the port, I am not able to caulk it because after I put the top panel (last one), the 90 degree part of the port block me access to it so I caulk it from the exterior. Is there any problem with that?

3. Should I caulk all the enclosure from the exteriror also before putting in carpet or it is not necessary?

4. How do you know if there is an air leak?

5. Does air leaks make a noticeable lost in performance? If yes how much?

As usual, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just built my first enclosure (L-Slot ported, 2 cubic feet @ 35 hz) for my Sundown SA-12 and I have a few questions about air leaking:
1. Do I need to use some weather stripping or else to seal all around the subwoofer or it is not necessary?

2. For the upper-back part of the port, I am not able to caulk it because after I put the top panel (last one), the 90 degree part of the port block me access to it so I caulk it from the exterior. Is there any problem with that?

3. Should I caulk all the enclosure from the exteriror also before putting in carpet or it is not necessary?

4. How do you know if there is an air leak?

5. Does air leaks make a noticeable lost in performance? If yes how much?

As usual, thanks.
1. Yes. Weatherstripping works but it's pretty thick and can be hard to work with. This stuff is what I use and it works great and stopped an air leak I had

Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 1/2" x 50 ft. Roll 260-542

2. Use your finger or something

3. It's not neccessary if it's already sealed good but it won't hurt anything.

4. You can usually hear and feel it when the subs are playing.

5. Depending on the size of the leak, you can lose a ton of performance.

I just bought some rope caulk and find it a bit thick. Since the carpet will be between the enclosure and the subwoofer gasket, will it help to seal as well (do I really need that rope caulk with that carpet under)? Thanks.

I just bought some rope caulk and find it a bit thick. Since the carpet will be between the enclosure and the subwoofer gasket, will it help to seal as well (do I really need that rope caulk with that carpet under)? Thanks.
Like I said, weatherstripping... Carpet helps but won't completely stop a leak. Rope caulk + carpet = huge mess

Ok I bought some weatherstripping. Now should I remove the carpet to let it seal directly with the wood? Should I fix it on the box or on the subwoofer gasket? For the screws I can fix them straight it without damaging the weatherstripping? Thanks Tenacious, your help is always really appreciated.

Ok I bought some weatherstripping. Now should I remove the carpet to let it seal directly with the wood? Should I fix it on the box or on the subwoofer gasket? For the screws I can fix them straight it without damaging the weatherstripping? Thanks Tenacious, your help is always really appreciated.
Either way works just fine. If you don't want to pull up the carpet on your box, you can just affix the weatherstripping to the sub. And yes, it's fine to screw through the weatherstripping - it'll still seal up just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.