Subwoofer blown?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cowcrusader
10+ year member

Hello I just got back from a local shop where they replaced a melted fuse and fuse holder. ********* used to small a fuse I'm guessing. Anyways my subs don't sound right now and I'm thinking they are blown or something. They move but the sound is way quieter than I remember it being and in the middle ov some bass lines the subs will make a ******* in sound and then shut off. I get voltage drops but they used to be louder even with said drops.

Gear: Kenwood 9015D Sub amp

Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" Performance Series Subwoofer

Alpine MRP F-300

They ran 4 guage from the battery to a 2 farad cap and ran 8 guage to the 2 amps, Is this sufficient? I believe the subs are run at 2 Ohms but I'm not certain. Also the wire seems to be ****** aluminum, it looks silver.

Thanks for reading,

Kevin

They set the gain (Its close to .5 with bass boost close to +7) Idk it just seems so quiet compared to how they used to sound and I've never heard subs just go out in the middle ov a bass line. Should i just get new subs? The amp gets really hot sometimes maybe its shutting off for temp reasons? Its just so **** hard to find a car audio shop around here that the people have any idea what they are doing. My subs used to be pretty loud, loud enough for my taste but they aren't in this car. Maybe my electrical system needs an upgrade, I've aready spent a lot and not happy with system.

turn down the bass boost all the way. bass boost kills subs. too small a fuse won't blow your sub it will just pop the fuse. also, toss the cap its a waste of money

Turn the bass boost off, set your gains with a DDM. and I'm guessing you have a pre fab box? Get a real box. If you do that and your not happy, ask before you buy anything else. I dont know what your idea of a lot of money is but that is about a $250 set up. So you get what you pay for.

idk how they do things down in missouri but up here we spell it "of" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Well with the 4 channel amp and outrageous install fees and wiring prices along with new speakers and tweeters I paid about 800. And that was with me already having the amp and subs/box. (Which were pretty cheap honestly) I know... ripped off... Yeah its a prefab box. I dont think getting a box built would be worth the money for these subs anyways. Would buying new subs upgrade my sound the most or electrical upgrade? I'm still pretty new at this stuff but I'm trying to learn all I can. Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.