SubSonic Filter..?

What eXactly might this be..? It's always good to elaborate, for I am very slow.. :thumbs_up
i THINK its mainly for ported boxes. you set it to whatever your box is tuned to and it helps it sound better/louder or soemthign at that freq. i had that setting on my old performance teknique amp but it didnt have an effect with my sealed box

What eXactly might this be..? It's always good to elaborate, for I am very slow.. :thumbs_up
A ssf is basically a filter or xover. It is used to filter out very low frequencies that subs are not made to reproduce...they are used in ported box setups. Basically, in a ported setup...u don't want to play ur subs too far below your tuning frequency or you may harm them in the long run...but i find them to be unnecessary most of the time if you're careful. Plus, if ur box is tuned to like 30hz...i wouldn't even worry about it. Also, i don't have to worry about my subs bottoming out...ha ha. peace

NG

If it's below 30, you most likely wont need one. The box will lose control of the sub at a half octave below the tuning frequency, so unless you play bass tests with a dominant 20hz frequency, you shouldnt have to worry. If you have it to tuned to 35, you really won't need one if you're smart about it, just try to keep all frequencies above 28 or so. If you like to play bass tests or songs with really low frequencies, then having one would be a safe decision.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that cone excursion sometimes gets pretty crazy below 20 Hz? And as such, it takes more power to push a sub at lower frequencies like that?

so what if a box tuned to a 34 with an xxx takin 1500 watts, will it need an LPF or SSF. because doesnt it take that bass away completely or just changes the freq.

Ha! My box is tuned to 37hz and i have twice the rated power goin to w/o a ssf...no probs here....... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

personally, i don't use them! I mean, they are not COMPLETELY necessary...it just blocks out the lower frequencies. As long as you are responsible with your subs, then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

flyasspimp: regardless, you need a lpf on your sub...this lets all frequencies BELOW the selected LPF frequency to go to your sub. (hence LPF=low pass filter) And the above is what i believe about ssf (sub soniv filtert)

ALSO, if any1 of u guys want an inline ssf that hooks up to your RCA's i have a pair of harrison labs FMODs...never used...20hz ssf sitting aroudn for $23 shipped. peace

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

n0ftInc

10+ year member
Spoilers Up. Kula Style.
n0ftInc
A Foolish Pleasure In MI..
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date