Subs, Speakers, and Cold Weather

whitedragon551
5,000+ posts

IL
Ive read that alot of people remove the system during the winter months and they use this time to install a new system.

Is there any disadvantage to cranking on the system in cold weather? Is it possible to damage the speakers, crossovers, tweets, subs, or amps?

In really cold temperatures some rubber compounds on speaker surrounds could get stiff enough to cause damage.

I had a PPI amp a while back that I had powering a sub and it ended up forming a short-circuit inside after condensation formed inside on a cold day.

Ive read that alot of people remove the system during the winter months and they use this time to install a new system.
Is there any disadvantage to cranking on the system in cold weather? Is it possible to damage the speakers, crossovers, tweets, subs, or amps?
It's possible to damage your subs, since they take much of the abuse when your playing them but everything else would be fine imo

only problem I see if something freezes. freezing parts trying to move never sounds good. besides that i don't see any problems. I've never had problems with any of my systems in the winter. I took my current system out tho just to make sure I don't wear out my batt on my big amp

Do we have to do this SAME thread every time it gets cold? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

i'll trade with you, it's -10 here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Thats cold as fvck. Its 38 here, but its snowing. Its just not sticking yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.