subs leaking

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 965
U

Unregistered

alright

i have 2 jl 10w3s in qlogic truck boxes bt they're leaking air. when i got the boxes i found out the subs were too long for them so i made wood spacer ring things so now they fit and sound great but there's air leaking out from the edges

what do you reccomend i do to insulate it?

yes i'm aware that the spacers are the problem. and i lack neither the resources, knowledge or the time to make a box.

isn't there something that i can put around the edges to cover up the leaks?

hey, i'm new to this ****, so don't go apeshit man.

and try letting off the caps lock.

Hey... as suggested above.. it would be best to start over and build correct box.. however if you need to ... if spacers are made of wood as is the box... use some mid line wood glue which can be found at any hardware store such as home depot... make shore contact points are as flush against each other as possible.. apply glue, if you have and saw dust mix some in with the glue... to hold it down even better.. use a couter sink or if you don't have one grab a small, drill bit.. (smaller then screws used), pre drill holes not too close togheter and sink a couple screws in... some people like using caulk and other sealents... however wood glue is one of the best in bonding wood.

as said prevousely....wood glue is one of the best...but you also might try silicon glue....its a good sealent as well...and it drys w/ kind of a rubber substance.....its always worked well w/ me....good luck

mix up some cornstarch and water and then dip newspapers in it and stuff it arround the edges of your subs, apply liberaly

Well if you want to save yourself some trouble, what you can do is get some suba diving or like wet suit material (personaly I used some left-over wood floor underlayment, same shiit but thinner) and put it in-between the sub, and and the little ring you made and the box. Works great for me.

try gluing the ring to the box with wood glue or silicon glue... just make sure the silicon glue is completely dry before attaching the sub.

also, try going to lowe's/homedept/ace and picking up some door sealer... like the kind that goes around your front door to keep outside air out. run this along the back edge of the sub and you should be pretty air tight when you screw it back on.

ihad a prob with that too

so I went out and bought

a tire tube from a bike and cut it to fit the ring

then titten the sub and then run a knife around the sub to cut the excess

and thats all you need

peace

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by bryant YOU IDIOT Y DO YOU THINK THEY LEAK SPACERS HELLO!

BUILD A NEW BOX TO SPECS THIS TIME YOU PICKLE BUFFER
Well that wasent helpful in the least. Welcome to the tools of this fourm.

Alright what I suggest is realitivly thick rubber, go to the autoparts store you can probably get away with using heavy gasket material. If still leaking then use the silicone based glue, or both for added protection against leaks.

The right way to space a sub is use a mounting ring from a JL Audio sub. The righ i speak of is the on the surrounds the sub and has the notches cut through it for mounting. A JL dealer can get these rings from JL seperate from the speakers. They fit exact and seal great. Disregard all the other crap about silicone and homemade pastes. That is what morons do who do not know what they are doing, plus it is unattractive. Do it right and you won't have to do it twice.

Originally posted by JWH . Disregard all the other crap about silicone and homemade pastes. That is what morons do who do not know what they are doing, plus it is unattractive. Do it right and you won't have to do it twice.

i know you may think u know it all...but all we did is suggest a way to seal the wooden spacer he had made for his box....so please respect everyone else here and keep childish remarks like that to yourself...thanks....

Well JWH is a class 2 installer so id take what he said as good stuff. Like he said if you do it right the first time you wont have to mess with it again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.