subs for my ranger

Participant count
  • Participant list

LoneRanger
10+ year member

Old Yamahas Give Me Wood
okay....here's the options i'm looking at. i have about 1.0-2.0 cubic feet of box space to work with. ported/slotted/bandpass boxes aren't an option as the seats would cover the ports, so i'm looking for a good sealed box subwoofer that will fit in this enclosure. the subs i'm considering are as follows

Cadence UD12-2 : PROS: Good sq sub. Nice response, accurate and will hold 300w RMS. CONS: The only thing i don't like is that it's ORANGE!

JL Audio 12w3 : PROS: Nice tight bass with great mix of SPL and SQ. 250-300w RMS and very long life if properly installed. CONS: Everybody and their brother owns these subs. Doesn't stand out at all.

Alpine Type R 12 : PROS: One of the best SQ subs on the market, especially for the price range. Nice look and 300w RMS is always good. CONS: More SQ, less SPL than other two. I'm looking for a happy medium between the two.

Audiobahn High Excursion 1200q : PROS: Looks mean, hits hard, and has more chrome than a '64 Impala. CONS: Not exactly a SQ sub, and tends to be way more efficeint in a ported enclosure. I've heard stories that they have a short lifespan in sealed boxes.

The amps I'm looking at are either a JBL 300.1 or a Cadence q3000. Both are 300w x 1 @ 2 ohms, and all the subs i listed are capable of handling exactly this amount of power.

So here comes the big question.....which is better? What's your opinion? If you were me, which would you buy?

Let me throw in one more...the L7 in a 2.0 cu ft box. Nice, Nice, Nice. That was my original plan, and I got it off of ebay, but the guy would not sell it to me.

A single L5 10" ported would be great with that power. If you got the 600.1 you could probably power a pair of L5 10's sealed, and that would be nice if you could get 2 cubes. You could have a ported enclosure in you std. cab, you would just have to have the port firing up behind the seat. That is what I would do, a single ported L5 in 1.5-2 cubes total. I would def. try and port it with that power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.