Sub wiring help.

Participant count
  • Participant list
1 ohm model is all they had. Puts out 1000w but it is so close to being what I want that I would rather get a bigger one and gain down.

So since these subs are rated at 500 rms is it safe to put 700 rms to them? Or will this kill the prematurely? I see people claiming they run higher then what they are rated for just fine but can't get any solid answers.

First off, the 1ohm 1200.1 is only 1 channel so running it on door speakers you’ll have to have some serious equipment there. And it puts out 1200 at 1ohm, why do you keep saying 1000w?

Well with all 4 door speakers hooked to the one channel it would split the power between all 4 evenly correct? Plus the speakers would be at 4 ohm so that would cut it down further. As for why I'm saying 1000 it's because my subs are 2 ohm and the amp is rated at 1000w at 2 ohms.

That was exactly the model what I was thinking to. Maybe gain down a little to keep it at 15-20 percent of the subs rms rating which seems to be the general consensus. Going to pick up the 1800.1 tomorrow!

The gain, remember is only to “match” the amp output to its signal output. It’s not a volume knob. If you have a crappy signal coming in, low gains can clip and hurt subs. It’s not just a “halfway gain” equals “half of amp rating” if that makes sense to you? What’s important is the high pass, and low pass. Bass boost off all the time!! Do you have a tuned enclosure to a certain hz?

Trust me I did my research and set my gains appropriately. I am using the bass boost but I set the boost before the gain to avoid any clipping. I actually got a bass 3k today and I was gonna ask what the box is tuned for so I can set the subsonic filter properly. I'm using the prefab kicker Enclosure for now.

Measurements are here: https://www.kicker.com/dual-12-compr-subwoofer-box

From what I hear most prefab boxes are tuned to 40hz so I would want to set the subsonic to 32hz. I was actually thinking of finding the tuning by playing test tones and seeing when the sub moves the least but still puts air out of the port buy I'm not sure of the volume to test at.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.