Sub wiriing problem??? All of a suden not producing bass?

newjacksm
10+ year member

Ok, so I havent been able to drive for about 6 months So I decided today to go in the car to check if the system were still sounding right.

It was I dont know but I decided to open up the box to check inside to check the wiring..

and I noticed that the - wire going to box from the amp from the inside the - wire was going to the + so i decided to change it because I thought it was suppose to go

- amp to box - to sub -.. and the other sub was the same...

when I changed it.. I noticed the sub dramatically dropped in bass.. so I decided to change it back...

and the sub are still playing very low.. even when I turn it up and the bass is suppose to hit, it never really hits... I checked the wire going to the deck, it is a bit shot, but it isnt the problem. I checked the speaker wire... I dont think that was the problem...

I didnt short anything I dont think, I didnt smell any smoke or any crazy **** like that..

Please help..

-Greg

you probably changed from series to parallel and dropped the ohm load far too low (in a series wiring scheme, the negative will eventually become a positive down the line), I would measure the resistance across your voice coils to make sure you didn't pop them.

Then test the amp output with just one speaker at low volume.

you probably changed from series to parallel and dropped the ohm load far too low (in a series wiring scheme, the negative will eventually become a positive down the line), I would measure the resistance across your voice coils to make sure you didn't pop them.
Then test the amp output with just one speaker at low volume.
almost positive i didnt change the ohms I have it at 2ohms. left it alone that way.

Like i said the only reason I opened up the subs was because I wanted to make sure that the wiring from the box to the sub were correct... which I think it was...

and I toyed around with it and now its messed up..... I even switched around the wires like 4 times to see if I got a difference, I know that would reverse the bass and instead of pushing air out it would push in... I believe.. but I dont know **** isnt correct maybe I will draw up a diagram how the wires are worked up...

Thats how it was before I touched it, and it is RIGHT now.. and I still have the problem... I put everything back the way it was...

subs.jpg

Dont mind the drawing .. its really bad..

Each sub is in series. Are they dual 2, dual 1, or dual 4 ohm voice coils?

What are your amps and subs rated for?

Make sure each sub is wired exactly the same, including the + and - on the amp. If you have one sub wired backwards, the sound is likely to cancel out.

Each sub is in series. Are they dual 2, dual 1, or dual 4 ohm voice coils?
What are your amps and subs rated for?

Make sure each sub is wired exactly the same, including the + and - on the amp. If you have one sub wired backwards, the sound is likely to cancel out.
alright so the + speaker wire connected to the amp and box should be connected to the + VC on the sub?

They are a Dual 2ohm sub.

alright so the + speaker wire connected to the amp and box should be connected to the + VC on the sub?
Yes...but just make sure that both subs are wired the same also. Because if both of them were wired backwards, then it was alright. But if you wire one of them normally, and the other is still backwards, then you're going to get cancellation.

I think they were both wired backwards to begin with... and I fixed the one sub that I thought was wired backwards and the other one was fine...

I thought the one sub would be messed up...

Anyways today I finally fixed it I put the wire that was dotted red on the + line not the negative both wires were there I dont know why...

I also noticed that one sub both speaker wires were switched around The amp - was going to the box + It was a complete mess....

anways I fixed it and I think it was actually louder then before... its not capping out at what it use to any more..

Man i really hope your still checking this post because the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! i wanted to re wire my box with bigger wire and after i did that i was getting hardly any bass at all at full volume. I tried many thing like you did and cant figure it out. Can you please explain in depth what you did to fix it? i was so pissed i thought i ruined both subs and amp but you post has given me hope. Please help !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.