Sub screws keep coming out!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

95lincdog

Senior VIP Member
I'm using these, they keep coming out. I used smaller black ones and the head of the screws pop off. Exactly what kind of screws do I need and how do I keep them in secure? .My phone won't let me post a pic of the screws on here, it's Home Depot 3/4 mdf. Subs and box size is in my sig. Thanks

Get construction screws. They have a thick, torx (star) head. When you buy a box of them it comes with a bit for them. You can find them next to the drywalls at home depot, they cost only a dollar more.

fasteners.php

In all the years I've been into car audio, I don't think I've ever had any screws, bolts, etc. back out from mounted subs.

You must be doing something wrong OP. Also the screwheads break off because your over torquing....and strong grip too I might add. lol

Though, if you're using drywall screws they should not be breaking off for some CVR's. You might be overtightening them. You should be able to tighten them using one hand and a manual screwdriver.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

In all the years I've been into car audio, I don't think I've ever had any screws, bolts, etc. back out from mounted subs.
You must be doing something wrong OP. Also the screwheads break off because your over torquing....and strong grip too I might add. lol
^ This.

You'll occasionally get some drywall screws with a weak head that will actually snap as it's being tightened, even if you're not overtightening it. But you need to be running some pretty substantial power to get them to break after it's been mounted.

Or....

You might have some stripped "wood threads" where the subs are mounted. Easy fix is rotate the sub in either direction 1/4" turn.

One of the problems with subs is overtightening of screws to mount subs. I never use a power drill for this purpose. I start with it but once it gets close, I use my handy handheld phillipshead screwdriver.

This was my first box build. I didn't use wood glue or have interior supports, the baffle is coming apart slowly. I think its time for a rebuild. I'm considering making a seperate box for each sub, I'm guessing the smaller the boxes volume the more stable/non-flexing it will be without a lot of interior bracing. I still want them at 34hz....would it be better to keep them in the same box or does it matter?

Pull subs out...Run a 1/4"-1/2" bead of Gorilla Glue around the mounting ring of the subs..Place subs,with approx 5-10lbs of weight on top of subs over two nights, and you shouldnt have any more issues

Pull subs out...Run a 1/4"-1/2" bead of Gorilla Glue around the mounting ring of the subs..Place subs,with approx 5-10lbs of weight on top of subs over two nights, and you shouldnt have any more issues
I wanted to try that. But I heard on here, on my box build thread, glue vapors will damage subs???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.