Sub protection?

Participant count
  • Participant list

fannin88
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ky
Alright, heres my issue. Maybe some of you have tried this.

My subs sound way better when they are facing, say the tail lights. With them facing that way, they would be smashed up in no time. I dont think I have ever saw any grills that Id trust with my 20 pound toolbox, or whatever other things I may have sliding around my trunk. So, what I was thinking is to take pieces of 2x2 wood and screw them on both ends of my box, on the sub face, and one between them [|O|O|] (Sortof life that, the | being the 2x2) then run 4-5 more pieces of

2x2 across the face of the box. I know that would be just fine. This way, the back of the box would be against my back seat.

Now another option would be: Do the same thing with the " [|O|O|] " but lay a sheet of wafer board over the face, which would be much safer. Along with that, Iv noticed that the closer to the tail lights (as close as 2") the louder it seems to me inside the car. Would the wafer board help with "loading" or making it any louder, or am I thinking wrong?

Thanks for any help guys!

This would be far more logical. I have an Accord. It has the cheap cardboardish false floor above the spair tire. behind the is the gas tank. The only other place I could screw to would be the cheap thin plastic pieces that slide together on the sides. So, instead of tearing that stuff up, It would make more sense to screw to a box I only plan to keep for a little while, right?

Im always throwing this in, and that out. So its always changing.

Rather than a 2x2 lattice, how about screwing some perforated sheet metal to the vertical strips? Home Depot sells it in different patterns. You'd have a tougher grille and it won't look like an apple pie (though it is the season...)

Rather than a 2x2 lattice, how about screwing some perforated sheet metal to the vertical strips? Home Depot sells it in different patterns. You'd have a tougher grille and it won't look like an apple pie (though it is the season...)

this^^

2x2 pieces of wood wouldnt possibly resinate nor weigh or cost as much. Since I have a pile of 2x4s anyways. And my truck never gets raised expect to load/unload stuff. Looks make zero difference in this ol car. Id rather have it look "bad" than to have a 3 pound hammer setting in one of my subs that nobody will ever even see //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Yeah, I never really considered metal for this .

If you hit it hard enough, itll stayed bent. Wood wont do that.

Sound waves can cause metal to resonate. Wood wont do that.

Metal weighs more than wood.

Metal costs money, and has to be deadened. I have alot of wood, which doesnt have to be deadened. So why pay for something, which I think, is less superior, in my case.

I just cant find any pros to metal vs wood.

I usually have large items in my trunk like my tool box, a milk crate full of various cans, grease, big hammers, filters, jumper cables ect. Nothing that wouldnt be stopped by the wood if spaced 3-5" apart.

So I do have my mind made up on material. But I was asking if using a piece of left over wafer board on top of the 2x2s screwed to the face of the box would help to act as if the box was closer to the very rear of the car, as it seemed to make it louder to the ear when it was shoved back. If not, Im just going to do 4-6 2x2 strips from side to side across the box.

try it and find out? if you have the wood then it wont cost anything to find out. and it shouldn't take to long. I wouldnt do it because i think it would look like azz, but you said looks dont matter so go for it.

Yeah, but thats ok. Like I said, its just an ol work car. The trunk is never really opened up anyways. I'll try to get some later.

Ugly? Yes. Functional? Yes.

As I said. Nobody sees it anyways, and it sounds much much better. Itll do for now.

Pics of my "pallet box" as requested:

PIC-4110.jpg

PIC-4111.jpg

PIC-4112.jpg

IMAG0909.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

I dont know why the volt meter pic showed up to. But I'll leave it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.