sub popping at high volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

nismotwin
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
virginia
Hello all, I have two questions possibly related. First my sub is making a loud pop noise at high volume after research i believe it to be the voice coil smacking the backing plate. Head unit is a Pioneer DEH-X8700BH, using a Samsung Galaxy tab4 to store and play music via bluetooth, sub amp is a RF P6002, sub is a 12'' Kicker L5. The big 3 has been done. Stock alt, diehard platinum p1 880cca starter battery and a XS Power XP750 secondary battery in the trunk. Monster cable rca's, A SMD DD-1 was used to tune the gains. The amps x-over is on all pass using a Clarion MCD360 3-way x-over which was set with a SMD CC-1. Sub set to 70hz (going for a little more musical) i will be setting it back to 63hz. My maximum undistorted volume according to the DD-1 is 61 the pop noise occurs between volume 58-61. Voltage directly on the sub amp is 13.7 when this happens. My sub box is on the large side, 3.24 net vol., 15.7 sqin port area per ft3 tuned at 33.03 hz. When i first got everything up and running it pounded hard for what it is (guessing 137db) then i noticed the sub appeared out of phase it was pushing inward so i switched the phase switch on the clarion x-over the sub now hits outward and is when my popping now occurs. What i would like to know is how to properly fix this i could turn the gain down but i believe it to be set correctly. Leading me to my second question, is my box to big? That is the one box building aspect i don't have a grasp on yet and can't find discussions about is how wattage effects box volume. Thanks in advance for all the advice i've been a long time reader you guys have taught me alot!!

Your woofer should be in phase unless u wired it wrong. Your woofer should be moving in and out while playing music and not just out.

So if the woofer was pounding hard and fine.... And then u flipped the phase switch and now it's popping turn the phase switch backnoff

I'll switch it back thanks guys, I do still have questions about box volume effected by input wattage. I read people asking the endless question ''need help on box design'' and someone trying to help typically asks ''how much power''. So how does the wattage supplied to the sub effect box volume? Now i know all subs are different but is there a base rule of thumb? 12'' Kicker L5 for example the manual stated the ''max spl'' box was 3.25ft3 so i built my own ported box to that net vol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.