Sub only hits hard at full volume?

Info about my system:

- 96 Cadillac Eldorado

- JVC KW-AV61BT Deck

- 4 Gauge power & ground

- Stock Bose 4" front and 6x9 rear

- 2 Pioneer 12" TS-W309D4

- Pioneer Amp GM-D8601

i have a capacitor under my hood (Scosche 500k) if that matters.

But it just won't hit hard unless it's at Max volume on the headunit.

Should I adjust the gain or any frequencies?

I dont hear/feel any bass at lower volumes.

Any help is appreciated

Your only option to make it louder is to get a more powerful amp that produces more power so that you can set the gain higher at lower volume without clipping your amp.

Whats the current position on your amp gain and how or what did you use to set the gain?

Has this always been the case or is this a new setup? Regardless of the problem, that 500K farad capacitor is probably useless. Not sure it relates to the problem, but I've had a 1.5F cap before and something eventually happened to it where it kept killing my battery. As soon as I removed it, had no problems.

Gain is barely up, set it to what I think would be 2.5 Volts. This amp is pretty powerful it's a 1600Watt max (800Watt rms at 1 ohm) which my subs are wired to.

This is a new setup. About 2 weeks old, and has always done this. I barely used the car since I set it up since I never really got the chance to hear it much (Nighttime, neighbors complaining etc.) but after a drive today it barely hit. Max volume it pounds hard but lower volume, barely anything. It usually starts to put out at 35+ volume, and pounds like I'd see it should at max.

Gain is barely up, set it to what I think would be 2.5 Volts. This amp is pretty powerful it's a 1600Watt max (800Watt rms at 1 ohm) which my subs are wired to.
This is a new setup. About 2 weeks old, and has always done this. I barely used the car since I set it up since I never really got the chance to hear it much (Nighttime, neighbors complaining etc.) but after a drive today it barely hit. Max volume it pounds hard but lower volume, barely anything. It usually starts to put out at 35+ volume, and pounds like I'd see it should at max.
You need to set your gain right. And never go of max ratings, it's a gimmick to make new people think they are getting something they are not.

When using your dmm you should set the gain to get a voltage of 26v - 28.28v

28.28v should be 800 watts rms, but since i never have used this amp i do not know how far the gain can go until it starts to clip.

Set the gain at the max volume you choose to be the most. So in your position you would want to set it around the volume you most want the bass to hit at, but have to be very careful as going over the volume spot you choose if not max volume can cause extreme clipping at the amp.

I set the gain at volume 45/50

28.2 volts exactly.

Now they really don't hit hard at any volume but 45.

The gain used to be at 46 volts when I initially did the test tone 60hz at volume 45

Any help is appreciated thanks

If you had a oscope or dd1 you could just raise till clipping, but all you can do now is guess when its clipping.

Does your headunit have a sub level in its settings

I set the gain at volume 45/50
28.2 volts exactly.

Now they really don't hit hard at any volume but 45.

The gain used to be at 46 volts when I initially did the test tone 60hz at volume 45

Any help is appreciated thanks
What are you expecting from this setup?

If you had a oscope or dd1 you could just raise till clipping, but all you can do now is guess when its clipping.
Does your headunit have a sub level in its settings
Yes it does.

What are you expecting from this setup?
Pounding bass.

yeah i u should use an oscope to set ur gains properly, if u want to rent one, i have one, PM me
I'll find one around lol thanks though

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.