sub instalation gone bad

Originally posted by wintermute 117 shite - i just noticed the specs on the Infinity Kappa perfect say it runs at 2 or 8 ohms.... would that change things? if so how would i wire things now? series?
You would have a dual 4 ohm sub then , Which is right for your amp , You need to wire your sub for a 8 ohm load and when you brige your amp it will see 4 ohms , That is perfect and your amp will love you , If you have it at a 2 ohm load your amp may be shutting off due to being to low of a ohm load

Originally posted by Spddracer You would have a dual 4 ohm sub then , Which is right for your amp , You need to wire your sub for a 8 ohm load and when you brige your amp it will see 4 ohms , That is perfect and your amp will love you , If you have it at a 2 ohm load your amp may be shutting off due to being to low of a ohm load
and how exactly do you propose he wire it to a 4 ohm mono load?

he can wire it to a 4 ohm STEREO mode, but nota 4 ohm mono load..

taht amp likely wont handle 2 ohm mono, and will put out no power at 8 ohm mono..

if that amp is your ONLY option, then wire it in stereo.... one coil to each channell...

although this can cause premature driver wear if the 2 coils arent seeing exactly the same amount of power. If they see slightly different wattages (and tehy will unless yo match them with a DMM) then the coils will not move in teh same motions at teh same time...

Originally posted by Wonderbread and how exactly do you propose he wire it to a 4 ohm mono load?

taht amp likely wont handle 2 ohm mono, and will put out no power at 8 ohm mono..

if that amp is your ONLY option, then wire it in stereo.... one coil to each channell...

although this can cause premature driver wear if the 2 coils arent seeing exactly the same amount of power. If they see slightly different wattages (and tehy will unless yo match them with a DMM) then the coils will not move in teh same motions at teh same time...
4 ohm steroe load would be the same as a 8 ohm mono bridged load , Same power output but wont ruin his sub this way ! Thats all he can do with his amp/sub combo without ruing one or the other !

Originally posted by Wonderbread and how exactly do you propose he wire it to a 4 ohm mono load?

Yes you were right in your previous post about getting a diff sub or amp ! But it should work just wont be loud ! I DIDNT THINK HIS AMP WAS GOOD TO A 4 OHM MONO/BRIDGED LOAD

*sigh*

The MTX thunder 6152 amp has the following specs.

RMS Power: 37.5W x 2 @ 12.5V

Bridged RMS Power: 325W x 1 @ 14.4V

these are at 4 ohms mono load (for the bridged spec)

a) he has a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub presenting him with wiring options of 2 and 8 ohms.

b) his amp can handle nothing lower than a 4 ohm bridged load (at elast, its not rated too...)

c) yes, 4 ohm stereo is basically the same as a 8 ohm bridged load as far as output.. and i clearly stated that either way, it wont push it well... hell it will barely move it....

d) that amp would NOT be perfect, it provides that driver with TOO much power... why waste that amp on something that cant handle it... Perfects dont like to be overpowered...

e) you're wrong, I'm right.....

:p

so whould i try the one channel to each VC or isthis a stupid idea? i currently have it wired like in this diagram after it failed to work in parallel.

if i have to buy a new amp, what should i get?

Originally posted by Beast1284 Corsica, where in NY are you? I am in upstate... Elmira... ever heard of it? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

yea man I am near by. In between Wellsville and olean NY!!1

J

Originally posted by BOXSTERSGUY Cold!! I know how u guys feel, I was workig on my sys in the garage last night and it got down to a chilly 62 degrees! Brrrrrrr!LOL:cool:
I'm in Alberta, cold is anything below -20 degrees Celcius. For you americans who still haven't realized the metric system is better, thats about -3 degrees F

I Live in the Crowsnest Pass, Along highway 3, up in the mountains.

Right now it is 10:40pm and the temp outside is about -15

Actually yes, at A&B sound.

They guys there were surprised, They had always thought that pyramid was a garbage name. But even after I turned off my Jensen 10's I still had over 130Db

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.