sub in spare tire well

Participant count
  • Participant list

tc300
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Thinking of doing a ported box with a Plexiglas cut out on top where you drop sub in and let it hang down in the spare tire well..... When you look through the plexiglass you will see the front of the sub.. Sub will be a icon 15

A good installer in our town did a box like this for a buddy of mine years ago. Kicker cvr, car was monte Carlo 01. Can't remember the exact amp but it was a Fosgate he went through two or three CVRs from them being blown... My question is could the magnet have been too close to metal in the spare tire well and therefore causing the sub to mess up..????

*** Ports to back... Two slotted ports on each side. It's not "stuffed" in the tire well, it's lifted like a down firing box would be ***

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the surrounding metal would not cause the driver to act any different or blow for some reason.

I'm having trouble with your description, though. Is the magnet in the box or out of the box? Is this a bandpass?

No, the surrounding metal would not cause the driver to act any different or blow for some reason.
I'm having trouble with your description, though. Is the magnet in the box or out of the box? Is this a bandpass?
No it's basically a inverted sub in a ported box.. The plexiglas cut is there so you can drop the sub in/or remove it.. And to see it.. Lol

And I also figured it was more user error when the subs quit working... I remember setting his gain and EQ settings,I'd see him a week later and it sounded totally different so I knew he changed him

No it's basically a inverted sub in a ported box.. The plexiglas cut is there so you can drop the sub in/or remove it.. And to see it.. Lol
And I also figured it was more user error when the subs quit working... I remember setting his gain and EQ settings,I'd see him a week later and it sounded totally different so I knew he changed him
So it's a standard vented enclosure but the sub is stuffed down in the well? Where does the output escape then?

So it's a standard vented enclosure but the sub is stuffed down in the well? Where does the output escape then?
Ports to back... Two slotted ports on each side. It's not "stuffed" in the tire well, it's lifted like a down firing box would be.. Sorry to confuse you!

Car is a 97-03 style grand prix

Ports to back... Two slotted ports on each side
Car is a 97-03 style grand prix
Great, so the ports are not obstructed but that doesn't account for the energy coming from the driver. If the enclosure is sitting over top the whole tire well and the driver is hanging down into it without any way for that energy to escape, you are now describing an awkward bandpass situation rather than a standard vented situation. The tire well would essentially be the enclosure for the driver, the driver then fires into the vented enclosure. That's fourth order bandpass.

Great, so the ports are not obstructed but that doesn't account for the energy coming from the driver. If the enclosure is sitting over top the whole tire well and the driver is hanging down into it without any way for that energy to escape, you are now describing an awkward bandpass situation rather than a standard vented situation. The tire well would essentially be the enclosure for the driver, the driver then fires into the vented enclosure. That's fourth order bandpass.
I edited my post...

Yeah as I said before after I would set everything for him next time I would see him It sounded totally different so I knew change them....

So as big as a magnet is on the icon I have NO worries having it close to the metal in the spare tire well...??.

Yeah as I said before after I would set everything for him next time I would see him It sounded totally different so I knew change them....
So as big as a magnet is on the icon I have NO worries having it close to the metal in the spare tire well...??.
I've heard of neo magnets leeching from ceramic magnets if they're stored by each other for long lengths of time but not nearby metal leeching from any magnet. Sure, stray flux will affect nearby metal but it will not rob that motor of it's strength.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.