Sub cutting on and off

kalkx
10+ year member

florida
My problem is whenever i startup and get going my sub plays normally on any levels but after about a minute or two you can hear it start to turn on and off repeatedly like its trying to play but theres a loose connection i checked everything going into the amp and the wires look fine so I have no idea where i should start or if its even a wiring problem?

What kind of car?

What kind of amp(s)?

What kind of subs and what impedance are they wired to?

What gauge wire? What type of fuse and what amperage is it?

What is your amp grounded to? How long is the ground wire?

Is your amp mounted upside down? Some amps don't like that and will overheat much easier that way.

Does your amp get hot?

Have you measured the voltage at the amp and/or the voltage drop across the wires?

My problem is whenever i startup and get going my sub plays normally on any levels but after about a minute or two you can hear it start to turn on and off repeatedly like its trying to play but theres a loose connection i checked everything going into the amp and the wires look fine so I have no idea where i should start or if its even a wiring problem?

Don't forget to check the wires connected to the sub.

Sounds to me like you have wired your subwoofer to the wrong ohm load.I could be wrong, but what it sounds like to me.Check your wiring configuration, and check the specs of the amplifier and make sure that that amplifier is stable at that ohms load.Just a suggestion.

its wired at 2 ohms but i think you guys might be right it probably came loose at the sub the terminals arent that friendly to wire so stuff was probably loose

I have the same issue bro! This happened to me on 2 amps and on 2 subs, same wiring. So it has to be the wiring.

The guy said it must be the power cable in my case. I'm about to buy a new ground and power cable and just put those in. Hopefully it fixes them. (I'll let you know once I take it back to him)

When mine goes off, does it just rattle without any bass? If so, I know how you feel.

I have the same issue bro! This happened to me on 2 amps and on 2 subs, same wiring. So it has to be the wiring.
The guy said it must be the power cable in my case. I'm about to buy a new ground and power cable and just put those in. Hopefully it fixes them. (I'll let you know once I take it back to him)

When mine goes off, does it just rattle without any bass? If so, I know how you feel.
it doesnt really rattle more like a popping noise its so weird though because somedays I can play for extended periods of time and have no problem than instantly it will start to play weird other days i turn on my truck and its already being weird it sounds more like if you take a 9v battery and then take your speaker wire and put them together

Is it like a popping behind the sub? Like the sub isn't moving but it's farting? I'm getting that quite often now. Can't wait until I wire my NEW ground and power cables. I'm hoping that will fix the issue. (My old ones were not the correct gauge)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.