Sub cut out

Participant count
  • Participant list

scadiz

Hawaii
Sub: HDS300 15''

Amp: RE VLX 3DE

Last night we were thumping admittedly a little heavier than usual then suddenly my sub cut out. I immediately pulled over and checked everything out. Amp was cool to the touch, and all fuses were intact. I then noticed no lights were coming on on the amp. Neither power nor protect.

A few questions before I tackle this:

Could a bad speaker wire connection on the sub side cause this symptom (no light on amp)? Kind of half assed electrical taped it up because I was in a hurry, was planning on taking it back out and redoing everything with different wire later anyway.

Would the fuses pop/amp go into protect before frying? I'm assuming it isn't fried because it was cool and none of the fuses went... but could a surge somehow bypass everything and still fry it?

And lastly, where should I start looking? After work today planning on checking all the hot wires and continuity through the amp. Just hoping my amp isn't gone ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Update:

Positive Wire to amp: Hot

Remote Wire to amp: Hot

Positive Speaker Wire out of amp: Nothing

Re wired the sub side, everything's 100 there. Double checked all wires for cuts, the amp is definitely seeing power and turn on. Took off the grounding bolt and sanded the surfaces again.

Amp light still won't turn on!

Last edited by a moderator:
personally, i fix the half asses connections first. Then id verify voltage going to the amp, and also the remote signal.

Get a dmm and check for dc volts POS to GND on the amp.(dont matter if cars on or off here) you should see 12.8ish car off, or 14vish car running

then with key in the on position of the ignition, test REM(on amp) to GND. you should see same voltage as the pos to gnd.

personally, i fix the half asses connections first. Then id verify voltage going to the amp, and also the remote signal.
Get a dmm and check for dc volts POS to GND on the amp.(dont matter if cars on or off here) you should see 12.8ish car off, or 14vish car running

then with key in the on position of the ignition, test REM(on amp) to GND. you should see same voltage as the pos to gnd.
Just mm'd amp ground and pos, ~14v car on. amp ground and remote (with HU on), ~14v.

Half assed the connection on the sub tho... would that affect the amp not being able to turn on? Green light should be on without the speaker wires even connected right?

Check your ground make sure its perfect and its thick enough wire for power your running and that it isnt too long.
Ground is 0g Knukonceptz about 2 ft long to the body, both surfaces sanded to shiny metal.

Thinking my amp is just fried... oh well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.