Sub Array

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigaudiofanatic
10+ year member

Dynamic Mobile Audio
Dover DE
So with a convertible I am thinking up ideas for how to get bass into the cabin.

One of the thoughts was this.

Single ported 12 inch sub in the trunk somehow ported into the cabin. Than where the rear seats fold down have 2-4 5inch or 6.5 inch subs there and run them when the top is down.

How good are these little subs? Which ones are worth looking at?

When the top.is up.bass is easy to.keep inside. When it is down it is much harder so along with the 12 inch that will probably have a port for the bass to come into the cabin I will turn on a second amp for 4 small subs fitted right behind the rear seats I will fold them down and have more bass this way.

When the top.is up.bass is easy to.keep inside. When it is down it is much harder so along with the 12 inch that will probably have a port for the bass to come into the cabin I will turn on a second amp for 4 small subs fitted right behind the rear seats I will fold them down and have more bass this way.
Mixing sub sizes is a bad idea.

As I said before, I recommend a down firing enclosure for your 12. It will help contain the sound inside the passenger compartment even when the top is down. This is not some hair brained idea, its a very commonly used install method for 'verts from high-end shops and installers.

So what sub would you recommend? I usually like ID Q but I want to try something new. Alpine type R, Fi, Focal, maybe even JL?

I already have a ID 1200.1 so power is not an issue.

So what sub would you recommend? I usually like ID Q but I want to try something new. Alpine type R, Fi, Focal, maybe even JL?
I already have a ID 1200.1 so power is not an issue.
The rest I can see... but... a Type R? lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

The other companies you mentioned all make good candidates. Do you have any specific thoughts on what you want to try? Id really like to recommend adding the JBL WGTI MkII to your list, but its 3ohm vc configuration doesn't work with your amp.

Well I still want a quality SQ prospective on my setup hence trying to incorporate 5 inch woofers for when the top was down. I want to have balanced bass weather the top is up or down so I will probably need to use the bass knob with my ID amp. I have installed JBL subs before but in cars that wanted all bass so I was not impressed by them.

Also keep in mind that the trunk is very small matter of fact its like "and I am guessing from pictures" 6ft long 3ft wide 4ft deep.

gNMHBGEKGrHqRjQEw5YkLiBMZWlFzy1Q_4.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.