Sub amp randomly cuts out, yet will work after the car is restarted

chuckle490
10+ year member

I'm running a Sony XM-1s monoblock class D amp to a Kicker 12in CompVR with an 8 gauge kit in a sealed box @ 2 ohms. I've spoken with some people and I've heard a few ideas; the terminal on my box has became loose and needs to be tightened, my ground is not working properly, my amp could be malfunctioning or have gone bad, or something is wrong with my sub. The thing is when it starts working after I restart the car it pounds just as hard as before. Earlier today It cut out and I stopped my car and got out to see what was going on and the amp was off, so I checked my ground and after picking up the wire and fidgeting with it for a second my amp turned back on so could my ground possibly be bad? Any help is appreciated! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sounds to me like your ground is bad. Make sure you have taken all of the paint off the area, and are seeing bare metal. Another thing is that some vehicles don't have a metal body, but if you are using a factory bolt, it still connects to the chassis. If you have access to a Digital Multimeter (DMM), set it to the Ohms functions. Take one of the leads, and touch it to your ground, and the other needs to touch to bare metal. If your reading is less than roughly .1 Ohm, your ground is good. If your ground is good, then there is a problem somewhere else.

I think you are right, I noticed that the paint is still where it is grounded, and that there seems to be a bit of dirt collected there too. That would make a lot of sense considering that everything has been working ine for almost three months. I shall scrape the paint of the metal, reground, and vacuum my car tomorrow. Thank you for the help.

It could be your "remote ON" from the HU.

However, fix the GROUND contact for sure anyway. Find a better Ground contact point, remove the paint probably, secure the cable and well mold to the thick metal plate contact point. I even spray protect after screw in the cable to prevent corrosion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.