strange alt whine problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

konechiwa
10+ year member

Jeepers
Seattle, WA
So for everyone that has looked at the old thread, I made a new one, because I now have a completely new problem.

first off, for all those who want to know the backstory, cliffs:

1) i hit a pothole

2) HU now says I am using some telephone feature, which i do not have hooked up.

3) sub now plays very quietly, no change in wiring or anything.

So I did a little troubleshooting...here is what I found:

When the RCA's are plugged into the Sub Pre-Out, all speakers play quiter (tested my rear speakers on Sub-Pre Out). They play quiter.

Put the Same RCA's onto my Rear Pre-Out, same settings, on my rear speakers. Plays normal level, everything is fine, except for I get a nasty case of alternator whine, coming ONLY from the rear speakers.

I had this problem before, and I grounded my HU manually, using a 16gauge wire connected to the metal of the chassis with the metal of the HU body.

I'm thinking that my HU is completely f'd.

After lunch I'm going to switch RCA's (i have a 4 channel RCA from Knu, 4 RCA plugs) see if that changes anything. I highly doubt it, but it seems to me like I need a New HU...

...which I'm not going to do because I am taking out my system in a couple of weeks because I'm giving the car to my dad.

Any other suggestions so i don't have to drive to work everyday with no music?

Try grounding your rca's?
Hmm i don't know if that would do anything because the exact same RCA's produce no alt whine when I plug them into my sub pre-out.

if i plug them into:

Sub Preout- Plays quiet on any speaker, no alt whine

Rear Preout- Plays normally on speakers, heavy alt whine

Front Preout- No alt whine. All normal.

Hmm i don't know if that would do anything because the exact same RCA's produce no alt whine when I plug them into my sub pre-out.
if i plug them into:

Sub Preout- Plays quiet on any speaker, no alt whine

Rear Preout- Plays normally on speakers, heavy alt whine

Front Preout- No alt whine. All normal.
They're grounded inside your HU somewhere, and that may have been messed up on the rear preout or the sub preout or both causing bad connection or for them to find another bad ground, try doing what people have to do when they blow the rca's ground fuse on pioneer decks

They're grounded inside your HU somewhere, and that may have been messed up on the rear preout or the sub preout or both causing bad connection or for them to find another bad ground, try doing what people have to do when they blow the rca's ground fuse on pioneer decks
i did, at least I'm pretty sure i did.

I grounded the HU again...it should work for the RCA's since the plug-ins are directly in contact with the metal in one way or another..

i did, at least I'm pretty sure i did.
I grounded the HU again...it should work for the RCA's since the plug-ins are directly in contact with the metal in one way or another..
I'd just make sure because unless you can see the plug-ins actually touching the body of the HU they may be getting a bad connection to it on the inside, given what happened I doubt it has anything to do with your rca's being messed up, especially if they work fine on at least one of the channels

idk i could be wrong but just a suggestion

I'd just make sure because unless you can see the plug-ins actually touching the body of the HU they may be getting a bad connection to it on the inside, given what happened I doubt it has anything to do with your rca's being messed up, especially if they work fine on at least one of the channels
idk i could be wrong but just a suggestion
yeah, what i mean is that the female end on the HU (that i plug the RCA's into) comes into contact with the metal that I used to ground the HU..

So i'd think that if it wasn't grounded properly inside, it would travel through the wire anyways...

I used to have my rear speakers hooked up to the amp, (same wiring, everything) and never got alt whine,

so i really really think my HU is just completely gayed.

out of warranty too. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

yeah, what i mean is that the female end on the HU (that i plug the RCA's into) comes into contact with the metal that I used to ground the HU..
So i'd think that if it wasn't grounded properly inside, it would travel through the wire anyways...

I used to have my rear speakers hooked up to the amp, (same wiring, everything) and never got alt whine,

so i really really think my HU is just completely gayed.

out of warranty too. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Yea it sounds like somethings just f'd up on your HU then, ***** dude

Yea it sounds like somethings just f'd up on your HU then, ***** dude
I was going to take out my system in like 2 weeks too.

Ugh.

I don't want to sell it but I don't want it to sit and I'm not paying a couple hundred bucks for something I'm not going to use.

And I'm sure my dorm would not appreciate a 12" sub pounding away...

)$(*@#(*.

I guess you'll see some stuff up from the classifieds from me soon.

fixed it temporarily.

I re-grounded the RCA's, and took away the alt whine, then plugged in the Sub into my Rear outputs, making it normal volume.

However I lost my rear speakers because the sub is in the rear preout...

oh well. It will work for a couple weeks. I can last without the rev's.

fixed it temporarily.
I re-grounded the RCA's, and took away the alt whine, then plugged in the Sub into my Rear outputs, making it normal volume.

However I lost my rear speakers because the sub is in the rear preout...

oh well. It will work for a couple weeks. I can last without the rev's.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif I was right

who needs rears anyway

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.