Stock System Upgrade Recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list
OP, buy dees and report back how they sound I’ve been interested in em for a min...

https://www.parts-express.com/lanzar-opti6pm-65-optidrive-400-watt-high-performance-midbass-speaker--292-2598

220W RMS for a 6.5" and 100W RMS for the tweeter.

Am I missing something, that's insane!? Please explain Hahaha I can only get 70W per channel out of my 4Ch Amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
220W RMS for a 6.5" and 100W RMS for the tweeter.

Am I missing something, that's insane!? Please explain Hahaha I can only get 70W per channel out of my 4Ch Amp.
yeah, but most good drivers have a pretty darn high power handling these days. the closer you can get to the 200 listed, the better, but putting a true 70 watts to this driver should make em play pretty well

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but most good drivers have a pretty darn high power handling these days. the closer you can get to the 200 listed, the better, but putting a true 70 watts to this driver should make em play pretty well
Yeh, wow.

Do you guys have any tips for buying decisions with these (non branded) speakers? I guess it's difficult to determine quality without brand rep and the pricing way off-scale. When I look at the specs I see voice coil sizing, cone material type, Vas(?) - There's also frequency response range and sensitivity. I'm gonna guess cone material is tied in with quality and frequency response, with voice coil sizing related to sensitivity/SPL.

For the branded stuff for me - its a mixture of brand rep, brand range, reviews, forum discussions and of course the listening test.

well it redepends on what youre after sound-wise. there are a TON of drivers that could fit most applications. biggest difference between mid drivers is the surround come material. The motor is a duh, but yeah. You can ger something from scanspeak, Daynon reference, silver flute for good accurate sound reproduction, and itll get fairly loud. but if you want it to get actually loud, youll want to get some PA styled drivers and power the ever living **** out of them while maintaining proper xover points to not kill them. Same goes for tweeters. Some will swear by hybrid audio all the way and piss on most other stuff. Dayton also makes good tweeters. I have a pair of massive audio ct2 tweets and theyre boss. 

whats your endgame and budget

well it redepends on what youre after sound-wise. there are a TON of drivers that could fit most applications. biggest difference between mid drivers is the surround come material. The motor is a duh, but yeah. You can ger something from scanspeak, Daynon reference, silver flute for good accurate sound reproduction, and itll get fairly loud. but if you want it to get actually loud, youll want to get some PA styled drivers and power the ever living **** out of them while maintaining proper xover points to not kill them. Same goes for tweeters. Some will swear by hybrid audio all the way and piss on most other stuff. Dayton also makes good tweeters. I have a pair of massive audio ct2 tweets and theyre boss. 

Haha we've gotten a little side tracked, but as per my initial post my budget is up to $200 USD per set (or equivelant).

My endgame is I want to do the rest of my gear justice, I'm looking for maximum SQ, but also I don't want to buy speakers that simply will have no advantage or even a negative effect because of the rest of my gear (e.g. Heavily under powering the speaker with my amp or something) - my full gear list is in my original post.

Really I'm looking to spend money in the right places!

I'm getting pretty excited about SQ for this build. Really keen for this to sound fantastic!

A few bonus questions:

What's a PA styled driver?

Also I just thought realised something, if you're buying raw drivers, do you only get 1 per purchase? As in, you don't get a left and right like you usually would from a branded gear?

I didn't think about that when looking at prices before hahah.

Alright, so I've looked at what's distributed in Aus & price ranges, brands.

Here's the speakers I've come up with (NOTE AUD PRICES, just half it for equiv. US prices):

MID-BASS DRIVERS:

[SIZE=10pt]Product[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Link[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Cost[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SB ACOUSTICS 6.5" MID-WOOFER - NBAC[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SB17NBAC35-4 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.wagneronline.com.au/sb-acoustics-6-5-mid-woofer-nbac/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/sb17nbac35-4-74300/991399/pd/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]$107.25 AUD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SB ACOUSTICS 6.5" MID-WOOFER - NAC[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]SB17NAC35-4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.wagneronline.com.au/sb-acoustics-6-5-mid-woofer-nac/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/sb17nac35-4-74400/991329/pd/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]$109 AUD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SCAN-SPEAK 6.5" MID-WOOFER GF SERIES[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]18W8434G00[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.wagneronline.com.au/scan-speak-6-5-mid-woofer-gf-series/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/18w8434g00-27168/959645/pd/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]$90 AUD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]6" REFERENCE SERIES Full Range DRIVER - DAYTON AUDIO[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]RS150P-4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.wagneronline.com.au/6-reference-series-full-range-driver-dayton-audio/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/rs150p-4-74537/993903/pd/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]$85 AUD[/SIZE]

TWEETERS:

[SIZE=10pt]SB ACOUSTICS 1¼" DOME TWEETER - SDC[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SB29SDC-C000-4 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.wagneronline.com.au/sb-acoustics-1-dome-tweeter-sdc/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/sb29sdc-c000-4-72234/991306/pd/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]$62.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SB ACOUSTICS 1¼" RING TWEETER - RDAC[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SB29RDAC-C000-4 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.wagneronline.com.au/sb-acoustics-1-ring-tweeter-rdac/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/sb29rdac-c000-4-74295/991309/pd/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]$79.00[/SIZE]

Some notes on choices,

• All 4-Ohm
  • 6" or 6.5"
  • Tried to keep door woofer + tweeter combo under $150 AUD (75 USD)
  • I aimed to keep the tweeters about 60% of the price of the door woofers

Any thoughts? :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.