Question regarding Speaker housing

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello everyone!

I need some general advice. I'm in the process of putting newly acquired speakers in my car. One of the things I'm confused about is the fact that my vehicle (1994 Bronco) has these weird metal "brackets" to mount the rear 6x9 speakers in. It's then covered by a mesh and all, but it's not enclosed at all. It's basically an open baffle design, which I think is stupid because you lose a lot of good audio quality. I much more prefer enclosed speakers than free baffle ones, as I feel you get more depth from it. Below's an example of speaker mounting.

wmrear-speakers-001.jpg

I have some Alpine S-S69 speakers to put back there and I wan't to cross them over for midrange. I am wondering if I should build some thin, but relatively big speaker enclosure from wood and install it behind that mesh. I think it would sound much better but I'd like some input on your opinion.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any type of enclosure is going to serve justice on any application in majority of cases for speakers in general.only one Pic to view from..Looks like wood may be ok if Im looking at it right as it looks to be inside the vehicle and not exposed to any wetness such as the doors.Id prob use Plywood rather than MDF in case of any moisture, Other than than Id prob look at getting some sheets of ABS plastic and enclose that way. I have enclosed several speaker openings with ABS, and I sometimes use a little Door matt inside to help seal off .Silicone the edges ect. Its cheap and really not too hard to work with.You will get better  performance and sound from your speakers for sure 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.