Stock Radio Wont Turn On

It should be plug and play and move on.. issues with wiring /fuses being blown due to a Hot/ constant source being grounded out.

Sounds like there is an internal issue with that HU in my opinion.id send it back if its still under warranty..
It should be plug and play and move on.. issues with wiring /fuses being blown due to a Hot/ constant source being grounded out.

That's interesting, because the unit did work briefly.

Any ideas on how to find this hot/constant ground issue?

EDIT: Turns out the car had another audio fuse under the hood, replaced, the yellow, constant 12V works now.

With the harness hooked up and everything, now I seem to be blowing the fuse on the HU itself. I've made sure i've gotten a good ground. Infact, its connected at two different spots, still ends up shorting as soon as I re-connect the harness to HU.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting, because the unit did work briefly.
Any ideas on how to find this hot/constant ground issue?

EDIT: Turns out the car had another audio fuse under the hood, replaced, the yellow, constant 12V works now.

With the harness hooked up and everything, now I seem to be blowing the fuse on the HU itself. I've made sure i've gotten a good ground. Infact, its connected at two different spots, still ends up shorting as soon as I re-connect the harness to HU.

Any ideas?
Either follow the wire to find cracks or breaks in the wire... or replace it entirely.
If neither works then its the headunit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think that the HU has an internal issue on the board.IMO
I looked at this.. than decided to open my HU up, turns out the screws that are used in the stock radio were too long. They were touching the copper inductor. Je-us f-cking sh-t!

Looked everywhere and realized probably created a short circuit.

Anyways, took it out, hooked up the unit and boom.. power without any fuses blown.

Either follow the wire to find cracks or breaks in the wire... or replace it entirely.
If neither works then its the headunit.

See above.

Thanks for the help all.

Future lurkers: check the screw length!!

Other ideas that I was thinking about:

NEVER EVER replace a fuse with a higher rated fuse, the fuse is there to protect the wiring, if you over load the wiring you will burn it out causing a massive headache and possibly a fire.
If you have used ISO connectors, check and double check the colours match, I have seen wires in the wrong holes.

You dont need to disconnect illumination, that will not make a stereo blow a fuse. Its Orange in colour.

If it blows a fuse as soon as you plug it in, you have a permanent power problem (yellow wire on Alpine).... power is probably earthed

If it blows a fuse once you turn the key to ACC, you have a ACC power problem (red wire on Alpine)

You need to test all of the wires..... even uninstall it and reinstall it, checking everything as you go and making sure the speakers are in phase! If you are not sure about what you are doing, take it to someone who does!

If you did not use the supplied screws and used your own, you may have stabbed the circuit board with a screw thats too long

Last option, but this usually just stops a stereo working and doesnt blow fuses..... if you have fitted new speakers, make sure the terminals are not touching the chassis!
- Skyline Owners.

I looked at this.. than decided to open my HU up, turns out the screws that are used in the stock radio were too long. They were touching the copper inductor. Je-us f-cking sh-t!
Looked everywhere and realized probably created a short circuit.

Anyways, took it out, hooked up the unit and boom.. power without any fuses blown.

See above.

Thanks for the help all.

Future lurkers: check the screw length!!

Other ideas that I was thinking about:

- Skyline Owners.
I own a skyline and no issues ? right side driver at that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.